Can a 'Fractional Calculus' Derivative Theorem Succeed at n = 0?

In summary, The integer, or non-integer must be defined 'prior' to performing the actual integration for each successive iteration. The theorem does not obey the fractional calculus foundation theorem.
Orion1

Any calculus researchers interested in disproving this theorem with some simple integers?

Orion1 derivative integer factorial theorem:
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (\ln x) = (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{x^n}[/tex]

Is this theorem correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework? You can prove it by combining the two basic identities,

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \ln x = \frac{1}{x} \equiv x^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} x^{m} = m x^{m-1} \, (m \neq 0) [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Expired Post...

Expired Post...

Last edited:
You could prove it by induction on n.
Check for n = 1, assume valid for n = k, prove then for n = k+1.

They prove it because they do, as anyone who knows about talyor series for instance could tell you. Again, do not name things after yourself, that is not allowed in mathematics, not least when it is this elementary and well known.

Generic Iteration...

Is this the correct iterated integral of this function?

iterated integration theorem: (generic)
[tex](I^n f)(x) = \int_0^x (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{t^n} dt = \ln x[/tex]

Orion's Conjecture Belted

Orion1 said:

Any calculus researchers interested in disproving this theorem with some simple integers?

Orion1 derivative integer factorial theorem:
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (\ln x) = (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{x^n}[/tex]

Is this theorem correct?

No, it is not correct. It fails when n = 0.

Orion1 said:

[tex](I^n f)(x) = \int_0^x (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{t^n} dt = \ln x[/tex]
That integral doesn't converge.

theorem...

theorem:
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (\ln x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rcl} \ln x & \text{if} & n = 0 \\ (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{x^n} & \text{if} & n > 0 \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Last edited:
Orion1 said:

theorem:
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (\ln x) = (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(|n - 1|)!}{x^n}[/tex]

Is this theorem correct when n = 0?

No, the zeroth derivative of the natural log is -- the natural log!

Then this theorem abstains at [tex]n > 0[/tex].

theorem:
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (\ln x) = (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{x^n} \; \; n > 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (\ln x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{rcl} \ln x & \text{if} & n = 0 \\ (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{x^n} & \text{if} & n > 0 \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Are there any more challenges to this theorem?

Last edited:
I'm worried about nonintegral values of n.

iterated integration theorem:
[tex](I^n f)(x) = \int_1^x (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{t^n} dt = \ln x[/tex]

Is this theorem correct? Does this theorem converge?

Last edited:
no, that doesn't work since the integral you wrote down evaluates to

(-1)^n(n-2)!x^{-n+1} +(-1)^n(n-2)!

it isn't an "iterated" integral, it is just an integral.

and theorems do not converge. integrals can converge, sequences can converge.

matt grime said:
no, that doesn't work since the integral you wrote down evaluates to

(-1)^n(n-2)!x^{-n+1} +(-1)^n(n-2)!

it isn't an "iterated" integral, it is just an integral.

and theorems do not converge. integrals can converge, sequences can converge.
Orion1 seems to be attempting to make use a a result due to Cauchy that if I is the operator defined by
[tex](If)(x):=\int_0^x f(t)dt[/tex]
then if the operator is applied n time the result is
[tex](I^nf)(x)=\frac{1}{\Gamma(n)}\int_0^x (x-t)^{n-1}f(t)dt[/tex]
This result is often used as the foundation for the so called fractional calcus when operators of nonintegral order are considered. Since the right hand side is well defined for n not an integer this is taken as a definition of the left hant side when n is not an integer.

i had guessed what he was *trying* to do, but we can't be sure, and i was pointing out what he *had* done

foundation theorem...

lurflurf said:
Orion1 seems to be attempting to make use a a result due to Cauchy that if I is the operator defined by
[tex](If)(x):=\int_0^x f(t)dt[/tex]

then if the operator is applied n time the result is

This result is often used as the foundation for the so called fractional calcus when operators of nonintegral order are considered. Since the right hand side is well defined for n not an integer this is taken as a definition of the left hant side when n is not an integer.

That is correct, I was uncertain how the symbolic method described such a theorem, it certainly is not listed in my calculus book.

As I understand this theorem, the integer, or non-integer must be defined 'prior' to performing the actual integration for each successive iteration.

I suppose the next question, does this theorem obey the fractional calculus foundation theorem?

fractional calculus theorem: (correct symbolic method?)
[tex](I^nf)(x) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(n)} \int_0^x (x-t)^{n-1}f(t)dt = \frac{1}{\Gamma(n)} \int_0^x (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{t^n} dt = \ln x \; \; n > 0[/tex]

In response to Tide's post, [tex]n = 0[/tex] appears to be special case:
[tex](I^0f)(x) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(0)} \int_0^x \frac{f(t)}{(x-t)}dt \; \; n = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
Orion1 said:

That is correct, I was uncertain how the symbolic method described such a theorem, it certainly is not listed in my calculus book.

As I understand this theorem, the integer, or non-integer must be defined 'prior' to performing the actual integration for each successive iteration.

I suppose the next question, does this theorem obey the fractional calculus foundation theorem?

fractional calculus theorem: (correct symbolic method?)
[tex](I^nf)(x) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(n)} \int_0^x (x-t)^{n-1}f(t)dt = \frac{1}{\Gamma(n)} \int_0^x (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{t^n} dt = \ln x \; \; n > 0[/tex]

In response to Tide's post, [tex]n = 0[/tex] appears to be special case:
[tex](I^0f)(x) = \frac{1}{\Gamma(0)} \int_0^x \frac{f(t)}{(x-t)}dt \; \; n = 0[/tex]

Fractional Integrals are (by the given operator) only defined for n>0, atleast per the following link:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FractionalIntegral.html

Derivative Dogma...

Tide said:
No, it is not correct. It fails when n = 0.
derivative integer factorial theorem:
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (\ln x) = (-1)^{n + 1} \frac{(n - 1)!}{x^n} \; \; n > 0[/tex]
benorin said:
Fractional Integrals are (by the given operator) only defined for n > 0
Then the original theorem is correct, because like Fractional Integrals, Fractional Derivatives are only defined for n > 0?

I disagree that n = 0 derivatives are actually derivatives at all!:
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} f(x) = g(x) \; \; n > 0[/tex]

However when n = 0:
[tex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} f(x) = f(x) \; \; n = 0[/tex]

It just seems that any derivative theorem would always fail at n = 0, because n = 0 is not a derivative!

Can anyone actually state a 'Fractional Calculus' derivative theorem that does not fail at n = 0?

Last edited:

1. What is the derivative theorem?

The derivative theorem is a mathematical concept that states the relationship between the derivative of a function and the derivative of its composite function. In simpler terms, it explains how the rate of change of one function affects the rate of change of another function.

2. How is the derivative theorem applied in real life?

The derivative theorem has many real-life applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, determine optimal production levels in a business, and design efficient structures in construction.

3. What is the difference between the derivative theorem and the chain rule?

The derivative theorem and the chain rule are related concepts, but they have different purposes. The derivative theorem is a general rule that explains the relationship between derivatives of composite functions, while the chain rule is a specific formula used to calculate the derivative of composite functions.

4. Can the derivative theorem be applied to functions with multiple variables?

Yes, the derivative theorem can be extended to functions with multiple variables. In this case, it is known as the multivariate chain rule and is used to calculate the derivatives of multivariable functions.

5. How is the derivative theorem related to optimization?

The derivative theorem is closely related to optimization because it helps us determine the maximum or minimum points of a function, which are crucial in optimization problems. By finding the derivative of a function and setting it equal to zero, we can solve for the optimal value of the function.