1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative using chain rule

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    I am trying to find the first and second derivative using the chain rule of the following:

u sin(x^2)

This is what I have but I don't think it is correct. Can someone pls let me know?

first derivative: u * 2x cos(x^2) + sin(x^2) u'

second derivative:
    u * 2( x * -2sin(x^2) + cos(x^2)) + 2xcos(x^2)* u' + sin(x^2)*u" + u'* 2xcos(x^2)

Any help thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's pretty close: the first term (for your second derivative) is not correct but I think if you take a second look you will figure it out (you just missed one detail). Otherwise, you can combine like terms to clean it up a bit, but it's still a long expression.

4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    I don't get it :(

5. Apr 8, 2008 #4
    i am assuming u is an other function right?

Think of it this way

[tex] [(u2x)cos(x^2)]'[/tex] in other words think first of (u2x) as a single function, so you can differentiate this using the product rule for (u2x) and
    cos(x^2) right? after that apply again the product rule wherever you end up with (u2x)' and you'll be fine.

6. Apr 8, 2008 #5
    This is what I get

2ucos(x^2)-4x^2sin(x^2)+4xcos(x^2)u'+sin(x^2)u"

Is this correct?
    Thanks

7. Apr 8, 2008 #6

You have this question on another post as well, and it looked fine to me as well there.
    Well i take this back, you are short of an x in there.
    you should have -2xsin(x^2) somewhere at the beggining, on your original result, at fpost #1.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  8. Apr 8, 2008 #7
    This looks fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?