How Do You Differentiate Products of Logarithms?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a logarithmic function. The problem is solved using the product rule and changing the base of the logarithms. The final answer is simplified using the chain rule and the change-of-base formula.
kuahji
[SOLVED] derivative with logarithms

Ok, so the problem problem probably isn't as bad as I'm making it, either that or its because its getting late & my brain just isn't functioning.

Find the derivative of y with respect to r.
y=[tex]log _2 \left( r \right)[/tex] * [tex]log _4 \left( r \right)[/tex]

The first thing I thought to do was use the product rule which yielded
y'=[tex]log _2 \left( r \right)[/tex]*(1/ln2)(1/r)+[tex]log _4 \left( r \right)[/tex](1/ln4)(1/r)

I then changed the [tex]log _2 \left( r \right)[/tex] to (ln r/ln2) & did the same to the other logarithm which created a complex fraction that I condensed down to
(ln r)/(r ln 2 * ln 2) + (ln r)/(r ln 4 * ln 4)

Cross multiplying gave
[(ln r)(ln 4)^2+ (ln r)(ln 2)^2]/[r (ln 2)^2 (kn 4)^2]

Here is where I'm stuck, because the book likes (2 ln r)/(r ln 2 * ln 4).

The book also showed different steps. To begin with it shows making the logs into ln.
which gives
y=(ln r)^2/(ln 2 * ln 4)
then take the derivative, but here is where I'm a bit lost. It shows
y'=1/(ln2 *ln 4) * (2 ln r) * (1/r)
I can see where the (2 ln r) & the (1/r) come from the chain rule, but not so much the 1/(ln2 *ln 4) part.

Physics news on Phys.org
y= (ln r/ln 2)*(ln r/ln 4) = (ln r)^2/(ln 2*ln 4), as in the book. The denominator D is a const, and just keep it like that. So,

y' = 2(ln r)(1/r)/D.

That'd probably eventually simplify to the correct answer, but I think your teacher wanted you to apply the change-of-base formula at the start and then use the chain rule as follows:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dr} \left ( \frac{\ln^2 r}{\ln 2 \ln 4} \right ) = \frac{2\ln r}{r \ln 2 \ln 4} [/tex]

foxjwill said:
That'd probably eventually simplify to the correct answer, but I think your teacher wanted you to apply the change-of-base formula at the start and then use the chain rule as follows:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dr} \left ( \frac{\ln^2 r}{\ln 2 \ln 4} \right ) = \frac{2\ln r}{r \ln 2 \ln 4} [/tex]

How is this any different from what I'd given?

Also, [tex]( \ln^2 r)[/tex] is not a standard notation.

Shooting star said:
The denominator D is a const, and just keep it like that.

Right, duh... :) thanks.

1. What is the derivative of a logarithmic function?

The derivative of a logarithmic function is the inverse of the function's argument, multiplied by the derivative of the argument. In other words, if the logarithmic function is written as y = logb(x), then its derivative is given by dy/dx = 1/(xln(b)).

2. How do you find the derivative of a logarithm with a base other than e?

To find the derivative of a logarithm with a base other than e, we can use the change of base formula to rewrite the logarithm as a natural logarithm. For example, if we have y = log2(x), we can rewrite this as y = ln(x)/ln(2). Then, we can use the chain rule to find the derivative, which would be dy/dx = 1/(xln(2)).

3. What is the derivative of ln(x)?

The derivative of ln(x) is simply 1/x. This can be derived using the definition of the natural logarithm and the power rule for derivatives.

4. Can logarithmic functions be used to model real-world situations?

Yes, logarithmic functions can be used to model real-world situations. For example, the Richter scale, which measures the magnitude of earthquakes, is a logarithmic function. Logarithmic functions are also commonly used in finance, biology, and other fields.

5. How do you solve for the derivative of a logarithmic function with multiple terms?

To solve for the derivative of a logarithmic function with multiple terms, we can use the sum and difference rule for derivatives. This means that we can take the derivative of each term separately and then add or subtract them to find the overall derivative. We can also use the product and quotient rules if the logarithmic function is written as a product or quotient of other functions.