1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative with respect to time ?

1. Aug 31, 2004 #1
    derivative with respect to time ??

ok i got a question that reads the accel of a marble is a certain liquid is given by the following equation: a=§ v^2
    where §=-4.8 and v> 0m/s the initial volociy is 1.72 m/s. how long will it take the marble's volocity to be reduced to half of it's initial which is 0.86 m/s?

i think i have to take a derivative with repect to time to get the volocity equation and kinamatics doesn't work i can't just find the accel with the equation cuz the accel has an exponetial relation to volocity...i need hlep. i need to know how to take a derivative with repect to time, i can do derivative fine but with repect to time i;m stumped. HELP !!!!! :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2004 #2
    do you know the answer?
  4. Aug 31, 2004 #3
    nm i got it dv/dt then integrate
  5. Sep 1, 2004 #4
    Try this a=(dv/dt) and put this in a=-4,8v^2. Then write all v's to one side and the t's to the other to get : (dv/(v^2))=-4,8dt and start integrating.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?