Derivative with respect to time ?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the derivative with respect to time to find the velocity equation for a marble moving in a certain liquid. The equation for acceleration is given and the question is how long it will take for the marble's velocity to be halved from its initial velocity of 1.72 m/s. The person asking for help is struggling with taking the derivative with respect to time and is seeking assistance. The solution is to use the equation a=(dv/dt) and integrate it to find the time.
ddoerr
derivative with respect to time ??

ok i got a question that reads the accel of a marble is a certain liquid is given by the following equation: a=§ v^2
where §=-4.8 and v> 0m/s the initial volociy is 1.72 m/s. how long will it take the marble's volocity to be reduced to half of it's initial which is 0.86 m/s?

i think i have to take a derivative with repect to time to get the volocity equation and kinamatics doesn't work i can't just find the accel with the equation because the accel has an exponetial relation to volocity...i need hlep. i need to know how to take a derivative with repect to time, i can do derivative fine but with repect to time i;m stumped. HELP ! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know the answer?

nm i got it dv/dt then integrate

Try this a=(dv/dt) and put this in a=-4,8v^2. Then write all v's to one side and the t's to the other to get : (dv/(v^2))=-4,8dt and start integrating.

regards
marlon

1. What is the derivative with respect to time?

The derivative with respect to time, also known as the time derivative, is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a quantity with respect to time. It is denoted by the symbol "d/dt" or "dx/dt" and is used to calculate how a specific variable changes over time.

2. How is the derivative with respect to time calculated?

The derivative with respect to time is calculated using the fundamental rule of calculus called the chain rule. This rule allows us to calculate the derivative of a function that is composed of other functions. The derivative is also calculated by taking the limit of the change in a variable over a specific time interval as the interval approaches zero.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the derivative with respect to time?

The physical interpretation of the derivative with respect to time is the instantaneous rate of change of a physical quantity at a specific point in time. This can include the velocity of an object, the rate of change of temperature, or the acceleration of a moving object.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is the average value of the derivative over a specific time interval. It represents the overall change in a quantity during that time interval. On the other hand, the instantaneous rate of change is the value of the derivative at a specific point in time, which gives us the precise rate of change at that moment.

5. How is the derivative with respect to time used in real-world applications?

The derivative with respect to time is used in various real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of moving objects, the growth rate of populations, and the change in temperature over time. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.