How Fast is the Plane Flying in the Derivative Problem?

In summary: So, in summary, the problem involves calculating the speed of an airplane flying over a radar tracking station at a certain distance. The plane's speed is decreasing at a rate of 400 miles per hour when it is 10 miles away. To solve this, the Pythagorean theorem is used to find the relationship between the vertical and horizontal distances. The second problem involves finding the height of a rocket when t=10, but without information on its speed, it is not possible to solve.
Sirius_GTO
An airplane is flying on a flight path that will take it directly over a radar tracking station. If (s) is decreasing at a rate of 400 miles per hour when s=10 miles, what is the speed of the plane?

Can someone explain in indepth response including reasons why each steps were taken. Thank you!

Attachments

• plane q.JPG
    plane q.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
I also need help with this problem.

Attachments

• Rocket problem.JPG
    Rocket problem.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 451
Well, both pictures look pretty much like right triangles don't they? So the Pythagorean theorem applies. In the first one, at any time t, the vertical distance is the constant 6 miles. The horizontal distancd is the function x(t) and the straight line distance is the function s(t). Using the Pythagorean theorem, x2+ 62= s2. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to t to get a relationship between the rates of change.

Thanks a lot for your help Doc.

As for the 2nd problem, I noticed that in the book they find that the height of the rocket when t=10 is 5000 feet. Exactly how did they find this?

Reread the problem. Unless the problem itself gives some information on how fast the rocket is going up, or the "5000 ft" is given in the problem, there is no way to do that.

OI, in the description it gave the formula 50t^2...

I didn't even see that...

1. What is a derivative word problem?

A derivative word problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of a function in order to solve for a specific value or variable. It typically involves real-world scenarios and requires knowledge of calculus and the rules of differentiation.

2. How do I solve a derivative word problem?

To solve a derivative word problem, you will need to identify the function or equation that represents the given scenario. Then, you will need to apply the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the function. Finally, you can use algebraic manipulation and substitution to solve for the desired value or variable.

3. What are some common applications of derivative word problems?

Derivative word problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world situations. They can help determine rates of change, optimize functions, and make predictions about future outcomes.

4. What are the key concepts to understand in order to solve derivative word problems?

In order to solve derivative word problems, you will need a strong understanding of calculus and its fundamental concepts, such as limits, derivatives, and optimization. You will also need to be familiar with the rules of differentiation, including the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving derivative word problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving derivative word problems is to practice regularly. Start with simple examples and gradually work your way up to more complex problems. It can also be helpful to review and understand the underlying concepts and rules of calculus, as well as seeking out additional resources or guidance from a teacher or tutor.