1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives and Continuity

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the continuous function f(x) has a derivative f'(x) at each point x in the neighborhood of [tex]x=\xi[/tex], and if [tex] f'(x)[/tex] approaches a limit L as [tex] x \rightarrow \xi[/tex], then show [tex]f'(\xi)[/tex] exists and is equal to L.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the derivative exists at each point x in the neighborhood of [tex]x = \xi[/tex] and f'(x) tends to a limit L as [tex]x \rightarrow \xi[/tex], we have [tex] |f'(x) - L| < \epsilon [/tex] whenever [tex]|x-\xi| < \delta[/tex]. Since we can take x arbitrarily close to [tex]\xi[/tex], we can write [tex] x = \xi + h[/tex] for any real h. In this case, we will take h to be positive. We then have [tex] |f'(\xi + h) - L| < \epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex] |h| < \delta [/tex].

Now, choose a positive quantity h* such that [tex] 0 < h < h* < \delta [/tex]. The following inequality is then true: [tex] \xi < \xi + h < \xi + h* [/tex]. We have formed an open neighborhood about the point [tex] x = \xi + h [/tex]. Then by the Mean Value Theorem, we have [tex]f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h) - f(\xi)}{h*}[/tex]. So we then have [tex] |\frac{f(\xi + h) - f(\xi)}{h*} - L| < \epsilon[/tex] whenever [tex] |h*| < \delta[/tex]. This inequality says that the limit of the quotient [tex] \frac{f(\xi + h) - f(\xi)}{h*}[/tex] as h* approaches 0 through positive values exists, and is equal to L. Using a similar argument it is easy to see that for h* tending to 0 through negative values, the limit is again L. Thus the derivative at [tex]f'(\xi)[/tex] exists and is equal to L.

Is this proof correct?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's definitely some problems though I think you've got the right idea. The MVT doesn't say
    [tex]
    f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h) - f(\xi)}{h*}
    [/tex]
    It says
    [tex]
    f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h*) - f(\xi)}{h*}
    [/tex]
    And I think you should be able to write this much more simply, e.g. the limit h->0 of (f(xi+h)-f(xi))/h is f'(xi). The MVT says there is a point y_h in [xi,xi+h] such that f'(y_h) is the same as the difference quotient. As h->0, y_h->xi so f'(y_h)->L. And there's really no need to split it into sides, you don't have any one sided limits or derivatives.

4. Jan 15, 2009 #3
    Oops, I mean't to write [tex] f(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi+h*) - f(\xi)}{h*}[/tex] for h* > h. I chose h* > h because if I chose h* < h, then I have xi < xi + h* < xi + h, and I cannot write out the derivative of xi + h as the difference quotient using xi and xi + h* (I believe the MVT says that xi + h must be contained in the open interval (xi, xi+h*).) But choosing h* so that h < h* < delta, h* goes to 0 and the quotient [f(xi + h) - f(xi)]/[h*] will go to L since the quotient - L is less than epsilon.

I see what you're saying though. I have made the problem more complicated than I had to. But with my correction above, is my proof correct?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Jan 15, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe (f(x+h)-f(x))/h approaches f'(x). And I believe there is an 0<h*<h such that f'(x+h*)=(f(x+h)-f(x))/h. But I don't think (f(x+h)-f(x))/h* has to approach anything.

6. Jan 15, 2009 #5
    But if you have 0 < h < h* then you have [tex]f'(\xi + h) = \frac{f(\xi + h*) - f(\xi)}{h*} [/tex] which approaches L as h* approaches 0. Since L is a definite value, then the limit exists. Isn't this the definition of a derivative or am I missing something here...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  7. Jan 15, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's fine. As h*->0 the left side approaches L because the limit of the derivative exists and since h*>h>0 that means h->0 which means the right side approaches f'(xi) since f is differentiable at xi. That's the proof all right. I was just worried because you were writing expressions like (f(xi+h)-f(xi))/h*, mixing h and h* in the difference quotient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?