1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives and deltas.

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

I've been giving the following problem:
    We have a differentiable function f: [a,b] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] with f'(a) < 0 en f'(b) > 0. Let c [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that f'(a) < c. Show that there exists a [itex]\delta[/itex] >0 such that for every x [itex]\in[/itex] ]a, a + [itex]\delta[/itex][ the following holds:

f(x) < f(a) + c(x-a).
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at a solution is the following:
    Using the definition of the derivative we have the following:

lim x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] a f(x) - f(a)/(x - a) < c so f(x) < f(a) + c(x-a).

My question is, where do I get the interval ]a, a + [itex]\delta[/itex][ from?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Derivative's and delta's.

You have $$
    \frac {f(x) - f(a)}{x-a}\rightarrow f'(a)<c$$ as ##x\rightarrow a##. That doesn't mean it is less than ##c## for all ##x##. ##x## has to be sufficiently close to ##a##. You need to think about the definition of limit to get a ##\delta## that works.

4. May 28, 2012 #3
    Re: Derivative's and delta's.

Okay I've figured it out. Thanks for your help ^^.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook