Derivatives and Differentials: Solving for \frac{dx^2}{dx}

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of derivatives and differentials, specifically in regards to the problem of finding the solution for u(rho, Phi) in the 2D Laplace equation in polar cylindricals. The confusion arises from the notation used and the method of finding the solution for Phi(phi), but not for rho^n. The conversation ends with an unresolved question and an invitation for further suggestions.
Niles
[SOLVED] Derivatives and differentials

Homework Statement

Hmm, when I have

[tex]\frac{dx^2}{dx}[/tex], does this equal zero or 2x?

What confuses me is the way it is written.

Physics news on Phys.org
Uh ... what is the original problem? And did you copy that exactly?

1st derivative = [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

2nd derivative = [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex]

I think you meant ... [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^2)=2x[/tex] (which says ... this is the derivative of x ...) <--- just an example!

It's not like [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] ... which states that you're taking the derivative of y with respects to x.

Last edited:
The original problem is:

Consider the 2D Laplace equation in polar cylindricals. Assume the solutions u(rho, Phi) = rho^n * Phi(phi), where n > 0.

I have to find u(rho, Phi).

What they do in the solution is to find the solution for Phi(phi) = A*cos(...) + B*sin(...), and then they set the total solution u(rho, Phi) = \sum [ A*cos(...) + B*sin(...) ] * rho^n.

So I got confused. They do not find the solution for rho^n, but they just multiply it on? That doesn't make sense since we have to take the deivate of rho in Laplace's eq. in 2D?

That's beyond me ... :p

Ok, but thanks for taking the time to look at it.

If anybody else has a suggestion, I am all ears.

1. What are derivatives and differentials?

Derivatives and differentials are mathematical concepts used to describe the rate of change of a function. They are fundamental tools in calculus and are used to calculate instantaneous rates of change.

2. What is the difference between a derivative and a differential?

The main difference between a derivative and a differential is that a derivative is a function, while a differential is a single number. A derivative is the limit of the ratio of change in the output of a function to the change in the input, while a differential is the change in the output of a function when the input changes by a small amount.

3. How are derivatives and differentials used in real-world applications?

Derivatives and differentials are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They are used to model and predict changes in quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and interest rates.

4. Can derivatives and differentials be negative?

Yes, derivatives and differentials can be negative. The sign of a derivative or differential depends on the direction of change in the function. A negative derivative or differential indicates a decrease in the function, while a positive one indicates an increase.

5. Are there any limits to using derivatives and differentials?

While derivatives and differentials are powerful tools, they have their limitations. They can only be applied to continuous functions, and they may not accurately predict changes in functions with sharp corners or discontinuities. Additionally, derivatives and differentials may not always provide a complete understanding of a system, and other factors must be taken into account in real-world applications.