1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives and differentials

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Derivatives and differentials

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hmm, when I have

[tex]\frac{dx^2}{dx}[/tex], does this equal zero or 2x?

What confuses me is the way it is written.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2
    Uh ... what is the original problem? And did you copy that exactly?

1st derivative = [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

2nd derivative = [tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex]

I think you meant ... [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^2)=2x[/tex] (which says ... this is the derivative of x ...) <--- just an example!

It's not like [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] ... which states that you're taking the derivative of y with respects to x.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    The original problem is:

Consider the 2D Laplace equation in polar cylindricals. Assume the solutions u(rho, Phi) = rho^n * Phi(phi), where n > 0.

I have to find u(rho, Phi).

What they do in the solution is to find the solution for Phi(phi) = A*cos(...) + B*sin(...), and then they set the total solution u(rho, Phi) = \sum [ A*cos(...) + B*sin(...) ] * rho^n.

So I got confused. They do not find the solution for rho^n, but they just multiply it on? That doesn't make sense since we have to take the deivate of rho in Laplace's eq. in 2D?

5. Mar 28, 2008 #4
    That's beyond me ... :p

6. Mar 28, 2008 #5
    Ok, but thanks for taking the time to look at it.

If anybody else has a suggestion, I am all ears.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?