1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives and graphs

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    There's a series of questions in my homework that I don't understand how to do. They give a graph of f ', then say, given f(-1)=-3/2, sketch the graph of f on the interval [-2,2]. (with different numbers each time, of course)

How would I graph f?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

If you are given f '(x), that is the derivative, or change in f(x) with respect to x. So given some initial condition f(-1), and given f '(-1), that helps you figure out what the values of f(-2) is and f(0) is, etc. If you have a starting value and you know how much it will change over the upcoming interval, that will tell you the final value. Makes sense?

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    I don't understand how you can find the specific values of f at other x values by knowing the value of the function and the derivative at a point. Can you explain that further?

5. Oct 4, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't. All they are asking for is a rough sketch showing that f increases where f ' is positive and decreases where f ' is negative. Also the graph should rise faster where f ' is larger (the slope is f ').

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?