1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives and ln

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a differentiable function f(x) satisfies the equation f(xy) = f(x) + f(y), prove then that f(x) = alnx.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have proved that if f satisfies f(x + y) = f(x)f(y) then f(x) = 0 or f(x) = e^(ax)

and I also know that if a function f satisfies f'(x) = af(x) for some constant a, then f(x) = ce^(ax) for some constant c and a.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Define f'(1)=a. Now write down f'(x) as a difference quotient and mess around with it. Maybe make a change of variables on the h. Can you show f'(x)=a/x?
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    [tex] f'(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) + (-f(x))}{h}[/tex].

I think the negative sign in front of f(x) messes things up because I don't think I can write f(x+h) + (-f(x)) as f(x(x+h)).

EDIT: I just saw your edit, I will continue to work on it.
  5. Jan 25, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should be able to show f(1/x)=-f(x) pretty easily.
  6. Jan 26, 2009 #5
    0 = f(1) = f(x(1/x)) = f(x) + f(1/x) and so f(1/x) = -f(x).
    So then I have [tex]f'(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) + f(1/x)}{h} = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(1 + h/x)}{h}[/tex]

But I can't see where to go from here to show that f'(x) = a/x
  7. Jan 26, 2009 #6
    Isn't this a candidate for L'Hopital's now or is that a step in the wrong direction?
  8. Jan 26, 2009 #7
    I was thinking that, so using l'hospital I have f'(x) = f'(1+x/h), no? But to me this doesn't make sense because if I want to show that the derivative is a/x then this cannot be true.

Plus in my textbook we haven;t covered l'hospital yet so I assume I'm expected to solve the question without using it.
  9. Jan 26, 2009 #8
    No using L'Hopital's you have

[tex] \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x} f'\left(1 + \frac{h}{x} \right) = \frac{1}{x} [/tex]
  10. Jan 26, 2009 #9
    Isn't the derivative of f(1 + x/h) = f'(1 + x/h)? Plus where did the 1/x come from before the f'(1+ h/x)?
  11. Jan 26, 2009 #10
    Chain rule? And you keep writing x/h when you mean h/x, be careful.
  12. Jan 26, 2009 #11
    Sorry if I'm being difficult, but how did you use the chain rule there?..
  13. Jan 26, 2009 #12
    Okay, I think I have it.

Letting [tex]\phi(h) = h/x [/tex], we have [tex]d\dx (f(1+\phi)) = f'(1 + \phi)*\phi'(h) = f'(1 + \phi) * (1/x)[/tex].

So we have [tex] f'(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} f'(1 + h\x)*(1/x) = a/x [/tex]
  14. Jan 26, 2009 #13
    Ugh, I messed up some of the latex in the previous post and whenever I try to edit it, it won't save the changes, so I will just retype what I wanted to type..

letting g(h) = h/x, we have d/dx(f(1+g)) = f'(1+g)*g' = f'(1 + h/x)*1/x.

Now, since f'(x) = lim as h approaches 0 of f'(1 + h/x)*1/x, we have f'(x) = f'(1)/x = a/x.

Dick, how did you see right away to define f'(1) = a?
  15. Jan 26, 2009 #14
    If anything I would let [tex] \phi(h) = 1 + \frac{h}{x} [/tex] but you have the right idea there.

Next, you wrote [tex] f'(1+h) [/tex], you probably meant [tex] f'\left(1 + \frac{h}{x} \right) [/tex]?
  16. Jan 26, 2009 #15

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You probably also showed that f(1)=0. So your difference quotient is
    (1/x)*((f(1+h/x)-f(1))/(h/x))). Since if h->0, so does h/x->0, the second factor is a difference quotient for f'(1). So it's (1/x)*f'(1)=a/x.
  17. Jan 26, 2009 #16
    Yup, that's what I meant. And of course, since f'(x) = a/x, integrating gives us f(x) = alnx.

Thanks guys
  18. Jan 26, 2009 #17
    How are you able to so easily spot these things?
  19. Jan 26, 2009 #18

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Practice, I guess. But it wasn't all THAT easy. I did have to think about it. I knew the answer was f(x)=a*ln(x), so f'(1)=a. Now you just have to figure out how to turn the difference quotient at a general point x into a difference quotient at x=1 times something using that f(xy)=f(x)+f(y). Forget the solution, get a blank piece of paper and try it. It's not super hard either.
  20. Jan 26, 2009 #19
    Do you know of any questions similar to the one that I posted? There aren't anymore in my textbook and I'd love to try another one.
  21. Jan 26, 2009 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not exactly. There aren't a lot of functions that have such a simple relation as f(xy)=f(x)+f(y) or f(x+y)=f(x)f(y). Try redoing the proof that the latter is c*exp(ax) where a=f'(0) for the latter case, if you can forget how it was proved before. It's even easier.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?