1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives and Slopes

1. Jan 30, 2014 #1
    Hello,

For this question I managed to find an answer but I am not sure if what the question means is to plug in the x-value and find the slope, or first find the derivative of the function, and THEN solve for the slope using f'(x)=10x+5h-2 (what I got for the derivative of the function). If someone could help explain the question I would appreciate it.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For each function, use the definition of the derivative at a point to find the slope of the tangent at the indicated point.

2. Relevant equations

For point (2, 17): [tex]f(x) = 5x^2-2x+1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]f'(x) = lim_h→0 \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]
    [tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[5(2+h)^2-2(2+h)+1]-[5(2)^2-2(2)+1]}{h}[/tex]
    [tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{[5(4+4h+h^2)-4-2h+1]-[20-3]}{h}[/tex]
    [tex]= lim_h→0 \frac{20+20h+5h^2-3-2h-20-3}{h}[/tex]
    [tex]= lim_h→0 (18+5h)[/tex]
    [tex]= 18 + 5(0)[/tex]
    [tex]= 18[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

So f(2) = 5(2)2 - 2(2) + 1 = 20 - 4 + 1 = 17
    In the line above you aren't finding f'(x), which is implied by the line above it. What you are doing is finding f'(2). Your first equation should have been
    $$f'(2) = lim_h→0 \frac{f(2+h)-f(2)}{h} $$
    Aside from what I already said, this looks fine. What your answer means is that at the point (2, 17), the slope of the tangent line is 18.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted