Finding Tangent Lines and Perpendicularity in Polynomial Functions

In summary, Beau explains that the tangent line equation is y-f(x0) = f'(x0), and that you need to find f'(x0) in order to find the point of intersection between the tangent and the given curve. He then provides a working example to help him solve the problem.
Hollysmoke
I am stuck on two question and have no idea how to solve them:

1) Find the equation of the tangent line to the graph of y=-3x^2 + 4x +18 at the point where x = -1

2) At what points on the curve y=x^3 - 9x^2 +29x +5 is the tangent line perpendicular to x+2y-7=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(1)start by finding [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] at that point.

Last edited:
for 1) I have y'=-6x+4

and for 2) I have y'=3x^2 -18x +29

b) Remember that the slope of the line perpendicular is the negative multiplicative inverse of the original line. Hope this helps...

Beau

Your derivatives are correct!

I can get the derivatives but I don't know what to do afterwards...

(1) And you know that at this point x =1, so you can obtain the gradient. Then sub x = 1 into the origonal equation to obtain the y coordinate. You know have the gradient of the tangent and a point on it. You can then use:
[tex]y - y_1 = m(x - x_1 )[/tex]
to obtain an equation for your tangent.

(Meant to say x=-1 but the idea is the same. Working on it now)

okay I did y-y1=m(x-x1)

2-6x+4=m(-1-x)

x(-6+6) / x= -m

That doesn't seem right though...

The tangent line equation to the graph of f(x) at the point (x0, f(x0)), is:
y - f(x0) = f'(x0) (x - x0)
Now that you have f'(x), what you have to do is to find f'(x0).
In (1), if x0 = -1, then what's f(x0)? What's f'(x0)?
Can you go from here? :)

No, you substituted the values in wrong. [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]y_1[/itex] are the coordinated of the point. m is the gradient. You should end up with an eqaution in the form;
[tex]ay = bx + c[/tex]

VietDao29 said:
The tangent line equation to the graph of f(x) at the point (x0, f(x0)), is:
y - f(x0) = f'(x0) (x - x0)
Now that you have f'(x), what you have to do is to find f'(x0).
In (1), if x0 = -1, then what's f(x0)? What's f'(x0)?

Would f'(xo) be the derivative? or -6x+4, so I would substitute

[-6(1)+4]-[6x+4] / x - 1 ?

Hollysmoke said:
Would f'(xo) be the derivative? or -6x+4, so I would substitute

[-6(1)+4]-[6x+4] / x - 1 ?
No, if f'(x) = -6x + 4, then you can find f'(-1) by simply replacing every x in f'(x) by -1, like this:
f'(-1) = -6(-1) + 4 = 6 + 4 = 10.
I think you should skim through your book again to understand the main concept before trying to solve problems. And also try to understand some examples the book gives you.

The book didn't explain it very well which is why I am so confused >_<. I usually understand something through an example question but there weren't any in the book and there weren't any on the web >_<. I'll keep trying though.

Here's my working to see if it helps:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} -3x^2 + 4x + 18 \;\; dx = 4 - 6x[/tex]
At the point x = -1 the gradient of the tangent to the give is given by;
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = 4 - 6 \times -1 = 10[/tex]
At x = -1, finding y:
[tex]-3\times -1^2 + 4 \times - 1 + 18 = 11[/tex]
Therefore the co-ordinates of the point of intersection of the tangent and curve is (-1,11). Using;
[tex]y - y_1 = m(x - x_1 )[/tex]
gives;
[tex]y - 11 = 10(x + 1) \Rightarrow y = 10x + 22[/tex]

Hope this helps.

p.s. I'll apologise for any stupid errors in advance.

Last edited:
Ooooooo I see what I did wrong! Thank you!
Also, any help for the 2nd one?

I just wish to analyze the solution. Makes it easier to understand ._.

(2) Okay, the product of the gradients of two lines which are perpendicular is always -1. i.e:
[tex]m_1 \cdot m_2 = -1[/tex]
So you need to find the point on the line where the gradient of the tangent times the gradient of the line equals -1. You will need to re-arrange the equation of the line into the form [itex]y = mx + c[/itex] where [itex]m[/itex] is the gradient.

Hope this helps :smile:

Hollysmoke said:
Also, any help for the 2nd one?
What do you mean by this?
Hootenanny gives you an example by solving the problem (1). Now, it's your turn to do the problem (2), which can be done in the same way as problem (1).
We do not give out COMPLETE SOLUTIONS here, at PhysicsForums. We do, however give you examples, and explain things to you! :grumpy: :grumpy: :grumpy:

sorry I forgot to post that I figured it out 2) after 1). Thank you

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line at that point.

2. Why do we need derivatives?

Derivatives are used in many areas of science and technology, including physics, engineering, economics, and more. They allow us to analyze and understand how quantities change over time and in relation to each other.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of a difference quotient. Alternatively, there are also various differentiation techniques, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule, that can be used to find derivatives of different types of functions.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and a tangent?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while a tangent is a line that touches a curve at a single point. The derivative of a function at a point is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point.

5. How can derivatives be applied in real life?

Derivatives have many real-life applications, such as in calculating velocity and acceleration in physics, determining optimal production levels in economics, and predicting changes in stock prices in finance. They are also used in various engineering fields to analyze and optimize systems and processes.