1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives Calculus Help

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f(x) = 2x2 -3x -5. Show that the slope of the secant line through (2, f(2)) and (2+h, f(2+h)) is 2h + 5. Then use this formula to compute the slope of :

(a) The secant line through (2, f(2)), and (3, f(3))
    (b) The tangent line at x = 2 (by taking a limit)

2. Relevant equations

too many to count

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so the first part I can do. I do f(x) - f(a) over x - a. In this case, for the numerator you plug 2+h into all of the x's in the f(x) formula given, and 2 into a, and then the denominator is x - a or in this case, (2+h) - 2 which = h. Factor it out, simplify, you get 2h + 5.

My question is, once I have this, is part (a) asking me to solve using 2h + 5? I'm not sure how I would go about this.

And part b, if its also asking me to solve using 2h + 5, then my GUESS would be:

the limit of (2h + 5) as x approaches 2 = 9 ,because you would just plug 2 into h.

Edit: Okay so..

P = (a, f(a) and
    Q = (x, f(x)

so then for (2, f(2)), and (3, f(3)) a would be 2 and x would be 3. In the book it says that h = x - a.

So if we plug that into 2h + 5 we get 2(3-2) + 5 and that = 7. Likewise, if we just plug 3 and 2 into the formula f(x)-f(a) over x - a, we get 7/1. So that answer must be right. I think I'm on to something here...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

f'(a) is defined as the limit as h→0 of [f(a+h)-f(a)]/h

So far you have calculated [f(2+h)-f(2)]/h = 2h+5

so as h→0, what does 2h+5 go to?

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3
    I see.

So f'(a) = lim of 2h+5 as h → 0 would be 5.

i.e. the derivative is 5. right?

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the derivative is 5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted