1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives, chain rule 4

1. Nov 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the derivative of $$y=cos(\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}})$$

2. Relevant equations

Chain rule

3. The attempt at a solution

$$y=cosu$$ $$\frac{dy}{du}=-sinu$$

$$u=\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$ $$ \frac{du}{dx}=(1-e^{2x})(-(1+e^{2x})^{-2})+(1+e^{2x})^{-1}(-2e^{2x})$$ $$= -\frac{1-e^{2x}}{(1+e^{2x})^2} + \frac{-2e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$ $$= \frac{-(1-e^{2x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2} + \frac{(-2e^{2x})(1+e^{2x})}{1+e^(1+e^{2x})^2}$$ $$= -\frac{-1+e^{2x}+(-2e^{2x})+(-2e^{4x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2}$$

$$\frac{dy}{dx}=-sin\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}} (-\frac{-1+e^{2x}+(-2e^{2x})+(-2e^{4x})}{(1+e^{2x})^2})$$

The front part of my answer is right $$-sin\frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}}$$, but the second half is wrong.

According to my textbook it is supposed to be $$\frac{4e^{2x}}{(1+e^{2x})^2}$$. What did I do wrong?

Any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##=(1-e^{2x})(-(1+e^{2x})^{-2})##<something missing here>##+(1+e^{2x})^{-1}(-2e^{2x})##
    Sign error.

4. Nov 9, 2013 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Why don't you just try using the quotient rule instead of the product rule? It's much cleaner, and using the product rule you made a mistake.

Edit:: Are you trying to wing yourself off using u sub for these yet? It helps, since I believe you forgot [itex] (1+e^{2x})^{-1} [/itex] is also a composition.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. Nov 10, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"wing yourself off"? Oh, you mean "wean". That stopped me for a moment.

6. Nov 10, 2013 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

There are several ways to approach these problems

I would be inclined to rewrite the function
    $$\cos \left( \frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}} \right)=\cos \left(1- \frac{2}{1+e^{2x}} \right)=\cos(\tanh(x))$$

Otherwise use the chain rule multiple times with care. For example

$$\cos \left( \frac{1-e^{2x}}{1+e^{2x}} \right)=\mathrm{f}(\mathrm{g}(\mathrm{h}(x))) \\
    \text{where} \\
    \mathrm{f}(x)=\cos(x) \\
    \mathrm{g}(x)=\frac{1-x}{1+x} \\
    \mathrm{h}(x)=e^{2x} $$

7. Nov 10, 2013 #6
    Thanks everyone! I've got it!

8. Nov 10, 2013 #7

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted