1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives, continuity

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2 problems.

1)
    Find an example of a function f such that :
    the line y=2 is a horizontal asymptote of the curve y=f(x)
    the curve intersects the line y=2 at the infinitive number of points

2)
    The position of an object moving along x axis is given at time t by:
    s(t)= 4t-4 if 2<t<8
    and = -68 +t(20-t) if 8<=t<=10

Determine the acceleration and the velocity at any time t. Is the velocity continuous? Is acceleration continuous?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first one, I'm really puzzled how y=2 can be horizontal asymptote, AND that the curve intersects it at infinitive points.

I'm guessing that the function is y=2cos(1/x), as , y=2 is an asymptote even if my guess is right, how exactly should I solve that?

For the second one, I found derivatives of s and s'

s'= 4 if 2<t<8
    s'= 20-2t if 8<=t<=10
    s''=0 if 2<t<8 and
    s"= -2 if 8<=t<=10

what then? how do i check if they are continuous?

I know the definition of continuous function and what exactly is horizontal asymptote, but I have no idea how to solve these two problems here :(.

Help!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2
    1. I guess your example is correct. You should use whatever definition of asymptote you have and see if it applies to your example. Just another, maybe slightly simpler example: 2+sin(x)/x

2. Just check if the functions "fit together" at t=8. For the velocity, you have 4 and 20-2*8=4, so the velocity is continuous. For the acceleration, you have 0 and -2, so the acceleration is non-continuous. In this case, continuity just means that you can draw the graph of the function without having to lift the pen at some point, so it's very intuitive. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piecewise

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3
    1. Yeah I figured my example was correct, does my function pass the fact that

"the curve intersects the line y=2 at the infinitive number of points" though?

I just have no idea if it does or not.

2. I kinda figured that actually later on

Thank you for your answer!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. Oct 14, 2011 #4
    Sorry for bumping, I still am not really sure if I did #1 right, both
    y=2cos(1/x) and y=2+sinx/x do seem to have y=2 as horizontal asymptotes, but I am not really sure how the curves intersects the line y=2 at the infinitive number of points, how can that be if the line y=2 is an asymptote?

6. Oct 14, 2011 #5
    Ummm, I just noticed that the curve in your example does not intersect, but is rather tangent to y=2 infinitely many times. So, to be on the safe side, you should use my example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook