What Does the Tangent Line at x=0 Reveal About y=sin(x)?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation of the tangent line to the function y = sin x at the point x = 0 and graphing both functions on the same set of axes. The resulting tangent line is y = x, illustrating the relationship between the slope of a tangent line and the derivative of a function.
priscilla89

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the tangent line to y = sin x at the point x = 0. Graph both functions on the same set of axes on the interval [-pie/4, pie/4]. What does this illustrate?

Homework Equations

y = mx + b

The Attempt at a Solution

y = sin x ---> y' = cos x

y = cos (0) = 1

y = mx + b
0 = 1 (0) + b
0 = b

y = x + 0

I'm wondering if I am on the right track. Any help will be appreciated, thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi priscilla89! :wink:

yes that's right … the tangent line is y = x :smile:

Ok thanks a lot.

- Happy Holidays

you meant y=sin(0) right? because the point is (x,f(x)) not (x,f'(x)) but it seems you corrected it when you found the equation of the line so I think it's ok.

Right it would've to be y = sin (0) = 0. Basically it would be then

0 = 0 + b

b= 0

1. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variables. In simpler terms, they help us understand how a function changes over time or in response to different inputs.

2. Why are derivatives important?

Derivatives are important in many fields of science, including physics, economics, and engineering. They provide us with a way to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems and make informed decisions based on this understanding.

3. How do I solve a derivatives homework problem?

The first step in solving a derivatives homework problem is to identify the function and its input variables. Then, you can use a variety of techniques such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule to find the derivative. Practice and familiarity with these techniques are key to solving derivatives problems successfully.

4. What are some real-life applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have many real-life applications, such as determining the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, optimizing production and pricing in economics, and predicting the behavior of financial markets. They are also used in fields like medicine and ecology to understand and model complex systems.

5. How can I check if my derivative answer is correct?

You can check your derivative answer by using the inverse process, integration. If you integrate your derivative and get back the original function, then your answer is likely correct. Additionally, you can use online calculators or ask a math teacher or tutor for help in verifying your answer.