Derivatives & Limits: Solving "Does Not Exist

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the differential of a function, evaluating a limit, and using L'Hopital's rule. The conclusions were that the limit in problem 3 does not exist, and there seemed to be some confusion about the correct answer for problem 1. The conversation also touched on the importance of dx in problem 1 and the direction of the limit in problem 2. Overall, there were some discrepancies between the expected answers and the given answers, causing confusion and uncertainty.
MitsuShai

Homework Statement

lim (e^(7x)-1)/x^2
x-->0

The Attempt at a Solution

I typed in "does not exist" and it was wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MitsuShai said:

Homework Statement

1. Find the differential of the function (dy)
y=(x^4−7)^7

2. Evaluate.
lim (x+1)/(x^2+4x+3)
x-->3+

3.lim (e^(7x)-1)/x^2
x-->0

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I typed this in 7(x^4-7)^6 * 4x^3 and it was wrong, so I typed this in 28x^3(x^4-7)^6 and it was also wrong.
You are missing dx. The rest is correct.
MitsuShai said:
2. I got 1/6, and it was wrong. (I factored it out and canceled the common factors)
I get 1/6 for the limit as well.
MitsuShai said:
3. I typed in "does not exist" and it was wrong.
I get the same. For this problem, the right-hand limit is infinity and the left-hand limit is -infinity, so the two-sided limit does not exist.
MitsuShai said:
People are telling me my answers are right, but there is no away there could be this many errors on the homework...I really can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

I don't either. All I can suggest is to make sure the problems you posted here are the same ones that are in your book or wherever you got them.

2. I suspected as much! It's the limit as x approaches NEGATIVE three.
3. Use L'Hopital's rule...once

Last edited:
Concerning #3,

Since [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{e^(7x)-1}{x^2} = \frac{0}{0}[/tex] (called an indeterminate), you have to use L'Hopital's rule, which states that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x\rightarrow c} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

So, find the derivative of f(x) and g(x) and use apply the rule above.

The Chaz said:
2. I suspected as much! It's the limit as x approaches NEGATIVE three.
3. Use L'Hopital's rule...once

wow was that a stupid mistake and for number 3 people were telling me that I couldn't use l'hopital's rule that's why I didn't.

so here's what I got
1. for number one do I just have to put dx at the end? like this: 7(x^4-7)^6 * 4x^3 dx or like this 28x^3(x^4-7)^6 dx (it's my last chance to put the correct answer and I don't want to put the wrong thing in)
2. I factored it out and got lim 1/(x+3)
then I get 1/0..so does that mean positive infinity or something
3. this is what I did before: lim 7e^7x/2x = 7/0, so is that infinity?
Before I was thinking I should apply the rule twice because I get 7/0 and If I did apply it twice I get: lim 49e^(7x)/2= 49/2

Last edited:
For #1 I would go with 28x^3(x^4 - 7)^6 dx, but the other expression is equal to this, so either should be marked as correct.

For #2, the limit is taken as x --> -3 from the right, so the limit is +infinity.

For #3, after applying L'Hopital's rule once you get 7e^(7x)/(2x) (which is what you show). Is the left side limit (x --> 0-) the same as the right side limit (x --> 0+)?

Mark44 said:
For #1 I would go with 28x^3(x^4 - 7)^6 dx, but the other expression is equal to this, so either should be marked as correct.

For #2, the limit is taken as x --> -3 from the right, so the limit is +infinity.

For #3, after applying L'Hopital's rule once you get 7e^(7x)/(2x) (which is what you show). Is the left side limit (x --> 0-) the same as the right side limit (x --> 0+)?

no, x --> 0- goes to negative infinity and x --> 0+ goes to positive infinity, so the limit does not exist, but I put "does not exist" and it was wrong...

Last edited:
I don't see how that answer could be marked wrong. Can you talk to your instructor?

Are you supposed to write something like DNE?

1. What is a "does not exist" solution in the context of derivatives and limits?

When solving for a derivative or limit, a "does not exist" solution means that there is no value for the derivative or limit at a certain point. This can occur when there is a discontinuity or undefined point in the function.

2. How can I determine if a solution "does not exist" for a given derivative or limit problem?

The best way to determine if a solution "does not exist" is to first simplify the problem as much as possible and then plug in the value for the variable in question. If the resulting value is undefined or infinite, then the solution does not exist.

3. Can a "does not exist" solution occur at a point where the function is continuous?

Yes, a "does not exist" solution can occur at a point where the function is continuous. This is because continuity only ensures that the function is defined at that point, but it does not guarantee that the derivative or limit exists at that point.

4. What are some common types of functions that may result in a "does not exist" solution?

Functions that have discontinuities, such as removable or non-removable discontinuities, may result in a "does not exist" solution. Other types of functions that may have "does not exist" solutions include exponential and trigonometric functions, as well as functions with vertical asymptotes.

5. How can I handle a "does not exist" solution in my calculations?

If a "does not exist" solution is encountered in your calculations, you can indicate this by writing "DNE" or "undefined" as the answer. It is also important to note the reason for the "does not exist" solution, such as a point of discontinuity or undefined point, in order to better understand the behavior of the function at that point.