1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives & Limits

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim (e^(7x)-1)/x^2
    x-->0

3. The attempt at a solution

I typed in "does not exist" and it was wrong.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You are missing dx. The rest is correct.
    I get 1/6 for the limit as well.
    I get the same. For this problem, the right-hand limit is infinity and the left-hand limit is -infinity, so the two-sided limit does not exist.
    I don't either. All I can suggest is to make sure the problems you posted here are the same ones that are in your book or wherever you got them.

4. May 2, 2010 #3
  5. May 2, 2010 #4
    2. I suspected as much! It's the limit as x approaches NEGATIVE three.
    3. Use L'Hopital's rule...once

6. May 2, 2010 #5
    Concerning #3,

Since [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{e^(7x)-1}{x^2} = \frac{0}{0}[/tex] (called an indeterminate), you have to use L'Hopital's rule, which states that [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow c} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = \lim_{x\rightarrow c} \frac{f'(x)}{g'(x)}[/tex]

So, find the derivative of f(x) and g(x) and use apply the rule above.

7. May 2, 2010 #6
    wow was that a stupid mistake and for number 3 people were telling me that I couldn't use l'hopital's rule that's why I didn't.

so here's what I got
    1. for number one do I just have to put dx at the end??? like this: 7(x^4-7)^6 * 4x^3 dx or like this 28x^3(x^4-7)^6 dx (it's my last chance to put the correct answer and I don't want to put the wrong thing in)
    2. I factored it out and got lim 1/(x+3)
    then I get 1/0..so does that mean positive infinity or something
    3. this is what I did before: lim 7e^7x/2x = 7/0, so is that infinity?
    Before I was thinking I should apply the rule twice because I get 7/0 and If I did apply it twice I get: lim 49e^(7x)/2= 49/2

8. May 2, 2010 #7

Mark44

For #1 I would go with 28x^3(x^4 - 7)^6 dx, but the other expression is equal to this, so either should be marked as correct.

For #2, the limit is taken as x --> -3 from the right, so the limit is +infinity.

For #3, after applying L'Hopital's rule once you get 7e^(7x)/(2x) (which is what you show). Is the left side limit (x --> 0-) the same as the right side limit (x --> 0+)?

9. May 2, 2010 #8
    no, x --> 0- goes to negative infinity and x --> 0+ goes to positive infinity, so the limit does not exist, but I put "does not exist" and it was wrong....

10. May 2, 2010 #9

Mark44

I don't see how that answer could be marked wrong. Can you talk to your instructor?

Are you supposed to write something like DNE?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook