1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of B-splines

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Hi,

I have been playing with B-splines recently and I have had some curious results. As a rest, I had a set of points on the ellipse; [tex]\frac{x^{2}}{9}+y^{2}=1[/tex]. I used the paramatrisation [tex]x=3\cos\theta ,\quad y=\sin\theta[/tex] and I computed the derivatives numerically (I had to come up with a numerical scheme for differentiation using non-uniform grids. It works okay for some simple functions but I am not very familiar with how these things are done)

I found that the first derivative (w.r.t. [itex]\theta[/itex]) was very well approximated (to within 10^-3), plotting it on matlab, you could just about see where they were different. When I calculated the second derivative (w.r.t. [itex]\theta[/itex]) (by applying my derivative formula again), the curves were a poor agreement. There were lots of oscillations in the calculation of the second derivative.

So my question is this:

Are the oscillations just a sign of my poor choice of numerical derivative, this phenomena an example of Runge's phenomena or something which is inherent within B-splines? I was using a degree 5 B-spline, the result was worse for a degree 7 curve.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a general rule, when approximating a function, the derivatives will differ, and each order of derivative is worse.

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I understand that. The degree of the curve I am using is 5, so that implies [itex]C^{3}[/itex] continuity. What I don't get is HOW they're worse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook