How do we express basis vectors for a manifold in terms of partial derivatives?

In summary, in introductory mechanics courses, the equations of motion in curvilinear coordinates are derived by expressing the coordinate basis vectors in terms of their cartesian counterparts and differentiating them with respect to time. This can also be done using the "modern" notation for basis vectors on a manifold, where the coordinate vectors are expressed as partial derivatives. This notation also allows for the use of covariant derivatives and orthonormal bases of one-forms to define hatted vectors, which are unit vectors with respect to a metric.
wandering.the.cosmos
In introductory mechanics courses we derive the equations of motion in curvilinear coordinates, especially the [itex]m (d^2/dt^2)x[/itex], by expressing the coordinate basis vectors in terms of their cartesian counterparts, and then differentating them with respect to time.

For example, in 2D polar coordinates we have

[itex]\hat{r} = \cos[\theta] \hat{x} + \sin[\theta] \hat{y}[/itex]
[itex](d/dt) \hat{r} = \frac{d \theta}{dt} (- \sin[\theta] \hat{x} + \cos[\theta] \hat{y}) = \frac{d \theta}{dt} \hat{\theta} = \frac{d \theta}{dt} \hat{\theta}[/itex]

My question is, how do we express this in terms of the so-called "modern" notation for basis vectors - the partial derivatives [itex]\{ \partial_\mu \}[/itex] - on a manifold? Do the [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y},\hat{r}[/itex] correspond to [itex]\partial_x, \partial_y, \partial_r[/itex]? It doesn't quite make sense to me, to say something like [itex](d/dt)(\partial_r)[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wandering.the.cosmos said:
My question is, how do we express this in terms of the so-called "modern" notation for basis vectors - the partial derivatives [itex]\{ \partial_\mu \}[/itex] - on a manifold? Do the [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y}[/itex] correspond to [itex]\partial_x, \partial_y?[/itex]

Yes, and with the standard dot product, [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is a Riemannian manifold.

[itex]\partial_\theta[/itex] means hold [itex]r[/itex] constant, and so is a vector in the [itex]\hat{\theta}[/tex] direction, but it is not normalized. To normalize, use the chain rule to express [itex]\partial_\theta[/itex] as a linear combination of the unit vectors [itex]\partial_x[/itex] and [itex]\partial_y[/itex].

Doing the same for [itex]r[/tex] shows that you were correct for [itex]r[/itex].

Also, the chain rule can be used to express [itex]d/dt[/itex] as a linear combination of [itex]\partial_\theta[/itex] and [itex]\partial_r[/itex].

Last edited:
This may be more information than you want but, strictly speaking, such things as [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y}[/itex] are "vectors" while [itex]\partial_x, \partial_y[/itex] are "covectors". That is, they are "operators" on the vectors and are in the dual space. Of course, there exist a natural correspondence between "vectors" and "covectors" so one can always think of covectors as "being" vectors. In that sense, any inner product, uv, is really "apply the covector corresponding to u to the vector v".

HallsofIvy said:
This may be more information than you want but, strictly speaking, such things as [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y}[/itex] are "vectors" while [itex]\partial_x, \partial_y[/itex] are "covectors". That is, they are "operators" on the vectors and are in the dual space. Of course, there exist a natural correspondence between "vectors" and "covectors" so one can always think of covectors as "being" vectors. In that sense, any inner product, uv, is really "apply the covector corresponding to u to the vector v".

No, [itex]\partial_x, \partial_y[/itex] are tangent vectors (fields), and [itex]dx[/itex] and [itex]dy[/itex] are co(tangent)vectors (fields).

Tangent vectors are derivation operators on functions, and covectors are operators on vectors.

wandering.the.cosmos said:
In introductory mechanics courses we derive the equations of motion in curvilinear coordinates, especially the [itex]m (d^2/dt^2)x[/itex], by expressing the coordinate basis vectors in terms of their cartesian counterparts, and then differentating them with respect to time.

For example, in 2D polar coordinates we have

[itex]\hat{r} = \cos[\theta] \hat{x} + \sin[\theta] \hat{y}[/itex]
[itex](d/dt) \hat{r} = \frac{d \theta}{dt} (- \sin[\theta] \hat{x} + \cos[\theta] \hat{y}) = \frac{d \theta}{dt} \hat{\theta} = \frac{d \theta}{dt} \hat{\theta}[/itex]

My question is, how do we express this in terms of the so-called "modern" notation for basis vectors - the partial derivatives [itex]\{ \partial_\mu \}[/itex] - on a manifold? Do the [itex]\hat{x},\hat{y},\hat{r}[/itex] correspond to [itex]\partial_x, \partial_y, \partial_r[/itex]? It doesn't quite make sense to me, to say something like [itex](d/dt)(\partial_r)[/itex].

I think that what you're probably asking for is the covariant derivative. This is [tex]\nabla_t[/tex] rather than [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}[/tex].

But your post raises other issues.

In modern notation, basis vectors are usually written ei, where i = 0...3. I.e. basis vectors a boldfaced, and subscripted.

Hatted vectors usually imply a non-coordinate basis. Hatted vectors are usually derived from an orthonormal basis of one-forms, also sometimes called a coframe. They have a very "physical" interpretation.

On the www, the only thing I can think of that might be relevant is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_fields_in_general_relativity, for some guides to notation. It's almost standard notation, except that most textbooks write vectors as boldface, where this article actually put a vector symbol over them, i.e. it writes the basis vectors as [tex]\vec{e_i}[/tex] rather than ei, the later being what you'll see in most textbooks.

Most textbooks will talk about orthonormal bases of one-forms, so you might want to find and read that section of your textbook, assuming you have one.

pervect said:
I think that what you're probably asking for is the covariant derivative.

No, wandering.the.cosmos is asking about the relationship between the modern differential view of tangent vectors on manifolds as partial derivatives, and vectors in classical mechanics.

But your post raises other issues.

In modern notation, basis vectors are usually written ei, where i = 0...3. I.e. basis vectors a boldfaced, and subscripted.

wandering.the.cosmos is working with a differentiable manifold that is a configuration space (in this case, [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]) in classical mechanics, not a differentiable manifold that is a relativisitic spacetime.

Hatted vectors usually imply a non-coordinate basis.

Hats over vectors conventionally imply that the vectors are units vectors with respect to a (positive-definite) metric. These vectors could be "coordinate" vectors, or they could be "non-coordinate" vectors.

Hatted vectors are usually derived from an orthonormal basis of one-forms

Hatted vectors are defined quite naturally without reference to one-forms.

George Jones said:
No, wandering.the.cosmos is asking about the relationship between the modern differential view of tangent vectors on manifolds as partial derivatives, and vectors in classical mechanics.wandering.the.cosmos is working with a differentiable manifold that is a configuration space (in this case, [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex]) in classical mechanics, not a differentiable manifold that is a relativisitic spacetime.

Hats over vectors conventionally imply that the vectors are units vectors with respect to a (positive-definite) metric. These vectors could be "coordinate" vectors, or they could be "non-coordinate" vectors.

Hatted vectors are defined quite naturally without reference to one-forms.

Let me try again. Suppose we have a metric (?line element?)

ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2

then dx, dy are an orthonormal basis (ONB) of one forms, because ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 and the duals of these one forms are unit vectors. In this case, that means that the coordinate vectors [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex] are unit vectors.

This goes back to your point that dx is a cotangent vector (aka one form), while [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex] is a tangent vector.

We always have [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q} dq = 1[/tex] for any coordinate q, this represents the combination of a one form dq on a coordinate vector [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial q}[/tex] which results in a scalar, and we can see that this is always a unit scalar.

Now, if we have a metric ds^2 = dr^2 + r^2 d [tex]\theta[/tex]^2, then dr and r*d[itex]\theta[/itex] are an ONB of one forms, because ds^2 = dr^2 + (r d [itex]\theta[/itex])^2. The line element will always be the sum of the squares of an ONB of one forms (well, except for possible minus signs if we were doing relativity).

The duals of these unit one-forms are again unit vectors, namely [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/tex] is a unit vector in the r direction, [tex]\hat{r}[/tex], and [tex]\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}[/tex] is a unit vector in the theta direction [tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex].

While I suppose you may not actually have to use an ONB of one forms, it makes life a lot easier. You can read the ONB of one forms right off the metric.

Last edited:

1. What are derivatives of basis vectors?

Derivatives of basis vectors refer to the rate of change of a basis vector with respect to a given variable or parameter. They are commonly used in vector calculus and multi-dimensional calculus to calculate the rate of change of a vector in a specific direction.

2. Why are derivatives of basis vectors important?

Derivatives of basis vectors are important because they allow us to understand how a vector changes in different directions. They are particularly useful in physics and engineering for calculating velocities, accelerations, and forces in multi-dimensional systems.

3. How do you calculate derivatives of basis vectors?

To calculate derivatives of basis vectors, we use the chain rule from calculus. We first take the derivative of the vector components with respect to the given variable or parameter, and then multiply them by the basis vectors to get the final derivative. This process can be extended to higher dimensions as well.

4. Can derivatives of basis vectors be negative?

Yes, derivatives of basis vectors can be negative. The sign of the derivative depends on the direction of change of the vector and the direction of the variable or parameter. A negative derivative indicates a decrease in the vector in a given direction, while a positive derivative indicates an increase.

5. What are some real-life applications of derivatives of basis vectors?

Derivatives of basis vectors have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used in mechanics to calculate velocities and accelerations of objects in different directions, in computer graphics to model the movement of objects in 3D space, and in economics to analyze the rates of change of various variables in a multi-dimensional system.