1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of e^x

1. Jun 13, 2010 #1

f(x)= ax^2 = ae^TR, nez
    Prove f '(x) = a(n) x^(n-1)

n does not equal 0

I don't even understand it

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Prove

I don't understand it either- go back and check the problem again!

In particular, "F(x)= ax^2 = ae^TR" makes no sense- it appears to be saying that F(x) is equal to two different functions. The only way I could make sense of it is if they are the same function: x^2= e^(ln(x^2))= e^(2 ln(x)). How is "TR" defined?

In any case "f'(x)= a(n)x^(n-1)" makes no sense because there was no mention of either "f" or "n" before. Assuming you mean "F" and "f" to be the same function (a very bad practice- capital letters and small letters are different symbols and should represent different variables) there still was n "n" in the original formulation.

Of course, it is true that if f(x)= ax^n, not x^2, then f'(x)= a(n x^(n-1)). That is normally proved by using induction on n or the binomial theorem, long before the derivatives of e^x and ln(x) are introduced. But if you do have those, then you could argue that f(x)= ax^n= a e^(n ln(x)) so that f'(x)= a e^(n ln(x))*(n/x)= a(x^n)(n/x)= a(nx^(m-1)).

4. Jun 13, 2010 #3

f(x)= ax^2 = aeTR (Not sure if its exponential), neZ
    prove f '(x) = a(n)x^(n-1)
    n does not equal 0
    sorry about the mistake

This was for a pre-calculus class but the teacher stated that it was in introductory calculus, so i assume that it is before the derivatives of e^x.

Btw do you know what type of problem this is so I can look it up in the book?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  5. Jun 13, 2010 #4

I am confused on how you got:
    F' (x) = ae ^( n ln(x)) * (n/x) = a(x^n)(n/x) then to a(nx ^(n-1))

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook