Derivatives of inverse functions-how two formulas relate?

In summary: This shows that the two formulas are indeed related, with the second formula being the negative reciprocal of the first formula. I hope this helps clarify the matter for you. Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it soon enough.In summary, the two formulas for calculating the derivative of an inverse function are related through the chain rule, with the second formula being the negative reciprocal of the first formula. Keep practicing and you will soon understand how to
al_famky
Derivatives of inverse functions--how two formulas relate?

Homework Statement

I know two formulas for calculating the derivative of an inverse function, both of which I know how to derive, but I don't know how to relate them to one another.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{df^{-1}(y)}{dy}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\frac{df(x)}{dx}}[/itex]
[itex]f'^{-1}(x)[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, for the first formula, it's because
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dx}{dy}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{df^{-1}(y)}{y}[/itex]
so
you get the first equation above.

for the second formula, use
[itex]\left(f(f^{-1}(x))\right)[/itex]=[itex]x[/itex]
take the derivative of x of both sides
[itex]\left(f'\left(f^{-1}(x)\right)\right)[/itex][itex]\left(f'^{-1}(x)\right)[/itex]=1
and with a simple algebraic manipulation you get the second formula

so, that being said...
I don't think that the y's and x's of the two formulas mean the same thing.
if i was given an equation like
[itex]y=arctan(-x^{3}[/itex])
then how would I use the two formulas (without using [itex]arctan'x=\frac{1}{1+x^{2}}[/itex])

I started out with the first formula
stating [itex]x=arctan(-y^{3}[/itex]), so [itex]-y^{3}=tanx[/itex], [itex]y=-tan^{\frac{1}{3}}x[/itex]
[itex]\frac{df^{-1}(y)}{dy}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{sec^{2}}{-\frac{1}{3}tan^{-\frac{2}{3}}x}[/itex]
or something like that... the answer is easy enough to get, but is it the answer i want? I calculated the derivative on the left with respect to y, and on the right i get an equation with x...which means i have to somehow change y to x, and there is no really convenient way (this formula was supposed to make things more convenient for calculation you know.)

for the second formula...things are easier, because both sides calculate derivates with respect to x, but that's where I get confused.
Are the two formulas related in any way? They should, but I can't wrap my mind around which y and which x they represent.

I don't know if i presented my problem clearly enough, but I hope someone would be willing to clarify the matter for me, thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand your confusion about how these two formulas for calculating the derivative of an inverse function are related. It can be a bit tricky at first, but with some careful analysis, we can see that they are indeed related.

First, let's clarify the variables used in these formulas. In the first formula, \frac{df^{-1}(y)}{dy} represents the derivative of the inverse function with respect to y. This means that y is the independent variable and x is the dependent variable. In the second formula, f'^{-1}(x) represents the inverse function itself, so x is the independent variable and y is the dependent variable.

Now, let's take a closer look at the two formulas:

\frac{df^{-1}(y)}{dy}=\frac{1}{\frac{df(x)}{dx}}

and

f'^{-1}(x)=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}

In the first formula, we are taking the derivative of the inverse function with respect to y, which means we are looking at the rate of change of y with respect to x. This is the same as saying we are looking at the slope of the tangent line to the inverse function at a point where the y-coordinate is y. This is why the derivative is written as \frac{df^{-1}(y)}{dy}.

In the second formula, we are taking the derivative of the inverse function itself, which means we are looking at the rate of change of x with respect to y. This is the same as saying we are looking at the slope of the tangent line to the original function at a point where the x-coordinate is x. This is why the derivative is written as f'^{-1}(x).

Now, if we use the chain rule to differentiate the second formula, we get:

f'^{-1}(x)=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}

f'^{-1}(x)f''(f^{-1}(x))=-\frac{f''(f^{-1}(x))}{f'(f^{-1}(x))^2}

f''(f^{-1}(x))=-\frac{f''(f^{-1}(x))}{f'(f^{-1}(x))^2}

Now, if we substitute this into the first formula, we get:

\frac{df^{-1}(y

1. What is the formula for the derivative of an inverse function?

The formula for the derivative of an inverse function is (f-1)'-1(x) = 1 / f'(f-1(x)), where f' is the derivative of the original function and f-1 is the inverse function.

2. How does the derivative of an inverse function differ from the derivative of the original function?

The derivative of an inverse function is the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function. In other words, the derivative of an inverse function is the inverse of the derivative of the original function.

3. Do all functions have inverse functions?

No, not all functions have inverse functions. In order for a function to have an inverse, it must be one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output. Functions that are not one-to-one do not have inverse functions.

4. How can I find the derivative of an inverse function using the chain rule?

To find the derivative of an inverse function using the chain rule, you can use the formula (f-1)'(x) = 1 / f'(f-1(x)). This involves finding the derivative of the original function and substituting the inverse function in for x.

5. Can the derivative of an inverse function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an inverse function can be negative. The sign of the derivative depends on the behavior of the original function and the inverse function. In general, if the original function is increasing, the inverse function will have a positive derivative. If the original function is decreasing, the inverse function will have a negative derivative.