Derivatives of logarithmic -

In summary: You seem to have 8x^2- 3 instead of 3x^2- 3. Again, the derivative of ln(8x^3- 3x)^1/2 is (1/2)(8x^3- 3x)^-1/2(3x^2- 3).
Derivatives of logarithmic functions - please help

Homework Statement

I am having trouble differentiating logarithmic functions. I am following this basic rule they gave us, namely: if y = ln g(x) then y' = g'(x)/g(x), but it is not working :(. Where am I going wrong?

Homework Equations

1) ln((4 - x)/(3x + 8))

2)ln(8x^3 - 3x)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

1)

(1)(3x + 8) - (3)(4 - x)
3x + 8 - 12 + 3x
(6x - 4/(3x + 8)^2)/(4 - x)(3x +8)

2)

(1/2(8x^3 - 3x)^-1/2)/((8x^2 - 3x)^1/2)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

939 said:

Homework Statement

I am having trouble differentiating logarithmic functions. I am following this basic rule they gave us, namely: if y = ln g(x) then y' = g'(x)/g(x), but it is not working :(. Where am I going wrong?

Homework Equations

1) ln((4 - x)/(3x + 8))

2)ln(8x^3 - 3x)^1/2

1)

(1)(3x + 8) - (3)(4 - x)
3x + 8 - 12 + 3x

2)

You have the general equation of the derivative of the ln function wrong. The derivative of lng(x) = 1/g(x), not what you stated in your equation. Once you know that, it's a simple matter of using the chain rule to obtain the derivative.

939 said:
namely: if y = ln g(x) then y' = g'(x)/g(x), but it is not working :(.
That expression for y' is correct, however I think you are getting tripped up with either the calculation of g' or the subsequent algebraic simplification.

For (i), make sure you use the quotient rule for g' and make any appropriate cancellations of factors before simplifying further.

Maybe this might help,

Remember you can write the log as,
ln((4 - x)/(3x + 8)) = ln(4 - x) - ln(3x + 8)

Now when you take the derivative you can take it of each log separately so it will be a little easier to see.

For example, when taking the derivative of one, if it were

ln((100-x)/(1-x)) = ln(100 - x) - ln(1 - x) then:

d/dx(ln(100-x) = -1/(100-x) and d/dx(ln(1-x) = -1/(1-x)

(Comparing this to your formula, here in the first case g(x) = 100-x and g'(x) = -1)

So the answer derivative of ln((100-x)/(1-x)) with respect to x would be:

-1/(100-x) - (-1/(1-x)) = -1/(100-x) + 1/(1-x)

Hope that helps.

Sorry if you have already done this, I couldn't really follow your working.

939 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

1) ln((4 - x)/(3x + 8))

2)ln(8x^3 - 3x)^1/2
This is ambiguous. Do you mean ln((x^3- 3x)^1/2) (which is equal to (1/2)ln(x^3- 3x)) or (ln(8x^3- 3x))^1/2?

1)

(1)(3x + 8) - (3)(4 - x)[/quote]
The derivative of 4- x is -1, not 1

3x + 8 - 12 + 3x
2)

The derivative of (8x^3- 3x)^1/2 is (1/2)(x^3- 3x)^-1/2 times the derivative of 8x^3- 3x which is 3x^2- 3.

What are derivatives of logarithmic functions?

Derivatives of logarithmic functions are the rate of change of a logarithmic function at a given point. They represent the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the logarithmic function at that point.

How do you find the derivative of a logarithmic function?

The derivative of a logarithmic function can be found using the power rule, chain rule, or logarithmic differentiation. The power rule states that the derivative of log base a of x is 1 over x times the natural log of a. The chain rule can be used when the logarithmic function is composed with another function. Logarithmic differentiation involves taking the natural log of both sides of the original function and then using the power rule to find the derivative.

What are some common rules for finding derivatives of logarithmic functions?

Some common rules for finding derivatives of logarithmic functions include the sum and difference rule, product rule, and quotient rule. The sum and difference rule states that the derivative of the sum or difference of two logarithmic functions is equal to the sum or difference of the derivatives of each function. The product rule and quotient rule are used when the logarithmic function is multiplied or divided by another function, respectively.

What is the derivative of ln(x)?

The derivative of ln(x) is 1 over x. This can be found using the power rule, since ln(x) is equivalent to log base e of x.

Why are derivatives of logarithmic functions important?

Derivatives of logarithmic functions are important because they allow us to analyze the rate of change of these functions. They are used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and economics, to model and understand various natural phenomena. They are also important in calculus, as they are used to find the maximum and minimum values of logarithmic functions, as well as to solve optimization problems.