1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of matrices

1. Jan 24, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am trying to find stationary points of the function f(x)=(xtAx)/(xtx) (the division of x transpose times A times x divided by x transpose x) where A is a px1 symmetric matrix. I need to take the derivative of this to show that when i set it to zero i get the eigenvectors of A.

I know how to take the derivative of xtx in respect to x, which is xtAt + xtA and since A=At, then this would be 2Axt, but I don't know what to do when it's a division, is there an equivalent of a quotient rule for matrix derivatives?

Thanks very much!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2013 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, libragirl79! :smile:

Suppose you diffentiate ##f(\mathbf x) = f((^x_y)) = {(x\ y)A(^x_y) \over (x\ y)(^x_y)}##.

First you would use the quotient rule to differentiate with respect to x to find:
    $${\partial f \over \partial x} = {((1\ 0)A(^x_y) + (x\ y)A(^1_0))\cdot (x\ y)(^x_y) - (x\ y)A(^x_y) \cdot 2x \over ((x\ y)(^x_y))^2}$$

Now let's rewrite, using ##A=A^T##, with ##\mathbf x##:
    $${\partial f \over \partial x} = {2\mathbf x^T A (^1_0) \cdot \mathbf x^T\mathbf x - \mathbf x^T A \mathbf x \cdot 2\mathbf x^T(^1_0) \over (\mathbf x^T\mathbf x)^2}$$
    $${\partial f \over \partial x} = {2\mathbf x^T A \cdot \mathbf x^T\mathbf x - \mathbf x^T A \mathbf x \cdot 2\mathbf x^T \over (\mathbf x^T\mathbf x)^2}(^1_0)$$

In other words, if ##A=A^T##:
    $$Df(\mathbf x) = {2\mathbf x^T A \cdot \mathbf x^T\mathbf x - \mathbf x^T A \mathbf x \cdot 2\mathbf x^T \over (\mathbf x^T\mathbf x)^2}$$

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  4. Jan 24, 2013 #3
    Thanks for your reply!

Since I forgot a lot of my matrix algebra, when you say A (x y) it looks like x choose y, but i am assuming that's not what you meant...

5. Jan 24, 2013 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Since you are talking about x transpose, that means that x is a vector.
    A vector is commonly written as:
    $$\mathbf x = \begin{pmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ \vdots \\ x_n\end{pmatrix}$$

I have simplified it to:
    $$\mathbf x = \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y\end{pmatrix}$$

So indeed, this does not mean x choose y. ;)

Furthermore:
    $$\mathbf x^T = \begin{pmatrix}x_1 & x_2 & \dots & x_n\end{pmatrix}$$
    and
    $$\mathbf x^T \mathbf x = \begin{pmatrix}x_1 & x_2 & \dots & x_n\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ \vdots \\ x_n\end{pmatrix} = x_1^2 + x_2^2 + \dots + x_n^2$$

6. Jan 24, 2013 #5
    Ok, I see! Thanks!! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook