Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives of natural logs and exponents

1. Nov 18, 2003 #1
    The problem I have is to find the derivative of the function:

f(x) = (ln x)^x

I know the derivative of ln x is 1/x, but the exponent is throwing me off. Can anyone offering any help? Thanks alot

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2003 #2
    [tex]a^{b}=e^{b\ln a}[/tex]

so [tex]\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex]. now use product and chain rules.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  4. Nov 18, 2003 #3
    Another (very similar) approach is to take the log of both sides before you take the derivative.. use the chain rule to write d(ln(f(x))/dx in terms of df/dx, and solve for df/dx.

5. Nov 18, 2003 #4
    Would I then have to substitute? I'm still not completely following... Thanks again

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  6. Nov 18, 2003 #5
    as long as your answer has only [tex]x[/tex]'s in it, it should be ok. you could simplify the [tex]e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex] back to [tex]\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}[/tex] if you want.

7. Nov 18, 2003 #6
    would the derivative of (ln x)^x be:

xe^(1/x) ??

i don't know how to use the power and chain rule on e^xln(ln x)

8. Nov 18, 2003 #7
    we have [tex]y=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex].

this can be written as [tex]y=e^{u}[/tex] where [tex]u=x\ln \left( \ln x\right) [/tex].

the chain rule is that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex].

[tex]\frac{dy}{du}=e^{u}[/tex]. to find [tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex], note that [tex]u[/tex] is the
    product of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\ln \left( \ln x\right) [/tex].

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}=\left( \frac{d}{dx}x\right) \ln \left( \ln x\right) +x\frac{d
    }{dx}\ln \left( \ln x\right) [/tex]. [tex]\frac{d}{dx}x=1[/tex] and to find [tex]\frac{d}{dx}
    \ln \left( \ln x\right) [/tex], it may be useful to write [tex]v=\ln w[/tex] where [tex]w=\ln x
    [/tex].

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\ln \left( \ln x\right) =\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{dv}{dw}\frac{dw}{dx
    }.[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dw}=\frac{1}{w}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dw}{dx}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]. hence [tex]\frac{d
    }{dx}\ln \left( \ln x\right) =\frac{1}{w}\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{\ln x}\frac{1}{
    x}=\frac{1}{x\ln x}[/tex].

putting this back into the most recent expression for [tex]\frac{du}{dx}[/tex], we
    get [tex]\frac{du}{dx}=1\cdot \ln \left( \ln x\right) +x\left( \frac{1}{x\ln x}
    \right) =\ln \left( \ln x\right) +\frac{1}{\ln x}[/tex].

putting this back into the most recent expression for [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex], we
    get [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=e^{u}\left( \ln \left( \ln x\right) +\frac{1}{\ln x}
    \right) =e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }\left( \ln \left( \ln x\right) +\frac{1
    }{\ln x}\right) [/tex].

since [tex]\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }[/tex], we get [tex]
    \frac{dy}{dx}=e^{x\ln \left( \ln x\right) }\left( \ln \left( \ln x\right) +
    \frac{1}{\ln x}\right) =\left( \ln x\right) ^{x}\left( \ln \left( \ln
    x\right) +\frac{1}{\ln x}\right) [/tex]. either the middle or right side of this equation may be acceptable.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  9. Nov 18, 2003 #8
    I understand what you wrote, but I just can't figure out how you turned (ln x)^x into e^xln(ln x)

Please elaborate. Otherwise, everything else has been very helpful.

10. Nov 19, 2003 #9
    it's based on the property [tex]e^{\ln a}=a[/tex]. if we raise both sides to the [tex]b[/tex] power, we get [tex]\left( e^{\ln a}\right) ^{b}=a^{b}[/tex] which becomes [tex]a^{b}=e^{b\ln a}[/tex]. in this case, [tex]a=\ln x[/tex] and [tex]b=x[/tex].

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?