1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives question

1. Nov 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hi, I am supposed to differentiate the following:

f(2x+g(x))

I think the problem should be solved as follows:

f`(2x+g(x)) * (2x+g(x))` * g(x)`

but, my ta said to do the following:

f`(2x+g(x)) * (2x+g(x))`

please tell me, physicsforums, which is the correct way?

why?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Your TA is right.

Suppose you had f(h(x)). What would you say the derivative (with respect to x) is?

Got an answer?

OK, now let h(x)=2x+g(x).

4. Nov 8, 2007 #3
    "Suppose you had f(h(x)). What would you say the derivative (with respect to x) is?"

"OK, now let h(x)=2x+g(x)."

I am confused, but luckily I know where I am confused so I guess there is hope.

f`(h(x)) where h(x) = 2x+g(x)

wouldn't we have: df/dh * dh/dg * dg/dx ???

5. Nov 8, 2007 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Let me try that again. Consider f(x^2). What is the derivative with respect to x?

6. Nov 8, 2007 #5
    f` * (x^2)`
    ?

7. Nov 9, 2007 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

OK, good. A clearer way to write this is f'(x^2)*(x^2)' And of course (x^2)'=2x.

Now consider a more general function h(x) as the argument of f: f(h(x)). The derivative of this with respect to x is f'(h(x))*h'(x).

Now, h(x) can be *any* function. It could be, for example, x^3. Or it could be x^3 + 2x. It doesn't matter what it is; we ALWAYS apply the formula f'(h(x))*h'(x).

So, if h(x)=g(x)+2x, we STILL apply the SAME formula. We don't multiply again by g'(x).

8. Nov 9, 2007 #7
    yeah, but I thought because it has another function inside of it (g(x)), we apply the chain rule again. sort of like we do with sin(cos(sinx)))

9. Nov 9, 2007 #8

Avodyne

Science Advisor

No, because g(x) is not inside of g(x)+2; that would mean something like f(g(g(x))+2x), with an extra "nesting".

10. Nov 9, 2007 #9
    this "nesting" is where I am confused? how exactly can I determine if there is a "nesting"?

11. Nov 9, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is an example of "nesting". The second sin(x) is "inside" (an argument of) the function cosine (and the whole assembly is a function of sine again).
    [sin(cos(sin(x)))]' = cos(cos(sin(x)))[-sin(sin(x))][cos(x)]

If instead, you had sin(cos(x)+ sin(x)), the second sine is NOT "nested"- it is not an argument of the function cosine. The sum of the two functions is an argument of the sine function.
    [sin(cos(x)+ sin(x))]'= cos(cos(x)+ sin(x))[-sin(x)+ cos(x)]

12. Nov 9, 2007 #11
    but in : f(2x+g(x))

since g(x) is inside the argument of f(x) isn't g(x) nesting?

13. Nov 9, 2007 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is not just g(x) but the whole 2x+g(x) that is inside f- you need to use the chain rule once, not twice: df(2x+g(x))/dx = (df/du)(du/dx) where u= 2x+ g(x). that is df/dx=f'(2x+g(x))(2+ g'(x)), exactly the same as the f`(2x+g(x)) * (2x+g(x))` your TA said- as long as you understand the " ' " to mean differentiation with respect to "the" variable- 2x+g(x) in f' and x in (2x+g(x))'. The point is that you have already used the chain rule in muliplying by (2x+ g(x))"- there is no reason to multiply by g'(x) again.

14. Nov 9, 2007 #13
    so we would only need to use the chain rule a second time if there was something "nesting" inside of g(x)?

15. Nov 9, 2007 #14

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Yes, if the argument of g(x) was something other than x, then we would need the chain rule a second time.

16. Nov 9, 2007 #15
    so it doesn't matter what g(x) is... it only matters what is in the argument of g(x)

g(x) could = (x^3+(x-1)^1/2 - 35x^14)^5/3 ... etc...

as long as only x is in the argument?

17. Nov 9, 2007 #16

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Yes!

18. Nov 9, 2007 #17
    Ok, so to sum things up.... if we have:

f(2x+g(x))

and g(x)=(x^3+(x-1)^1/2 - 35x^14)^5/3 (copied from the last hypothetical)

then f`(2x+g(x))= f`(2x+g(x)) * (2x+g(x))` =
    f`(2x+g(x)) * 5/3(x^3 +(x-1)1/2 - 35x^14)^2/3

19. Nov 10, 2007 #18

Avodyne

Science Advisor

The first line is correct. But then you did not compute (2x+g(x))' correctly.

(2x+g(x))' = 2 + g'(x), and

g(x) = h(x)^5/3, where h(x) = x^3+..., so

g'(x) = 5/3 h(x)^2/3 * h'(x)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?