Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives vs Averages

1. Feb 24, 2004 #1
    I'm doing a s. research paper on D vs A.

Anyone give some insights what I can talk about?? I was thinking of comparing how inacurate averages are in some situations. But lack of math talents I don't know how to start:\

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2004 #2
    let's see if my physics talents exist
    the derevative of a body can give you the precise velocity at a particular time while average doesnt give you this preciseness.

if im wrong, correct me.

4. Feb 25, 2004 #3
    Derivatives and averages are almost opposites.
    At the bottom, derivatives subtract, averages add.

5. Feb 26, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That looks very deep but I have absolutely no idea what it means!

One thing to note is that derivatives are limits of averages.

Also the mean value theorem asserts that when you average over an interval, there always exist some point in that interval where the derivative is exactly equal to the average.

6. Feb 26, 2004 #5

uart

Science Advisor

Not exactly sure what you're saying in the second sentence but I certainly agree about averages and derivatives being essentually opposites.

Time domain averages are simply the time integral divided by the total time. Integrals of course are anti-derivatives and hence the sense in which the two proposed things are opposites. I don't really see how they are even comparible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?