1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivatives with natural logs

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    Hello, I was given a problem dealing with derivatives and compositions of g and f. The problem is, when I go to find the derivative at a certain point, it involves natural logs. I can only get so far when I can no longer get 'h' out of the equation!
    f(x)=ln(x) for all x>0
    g(x)=(x^2)-4
    H(x)=f(g(x))=2ln(x-2)
    The equation for a derivative is (f(x+h)-f(x))/(h) as h approches 0.
    When I attempted to solve H'(7), this is what I got.
    [tex]H'(7)=\frac{H(7+h)-H(7)}{h}\ \mbox{as h approaches 0}[/tex]
    [tex]H'(7)=\frac{2ln((7+h)-2)-2ln(7-2)}{h}\ \mbox{as h approaches 0}[/tex]
    [tex]H'(7)=\frac{2ln(5+h)-2ln(5)}{h}\ \mbox{as h approaches 0}[/tex]
    [tex]H'(7)=\frac{2(ln(5+h)-ln(5))}{h}\ \mbox{as h approaches 0}[/tex]

Again, I am trying to get the 'h' out of the natural log, meaning next to the '2' so I can cancel out the h, but am having trouble.
    I know that there is a 'shortcut' and that the answer should be [tex]\frac{2}{5}[/tex], and it is probably a simple manipulation of the natural logs, but I've asked around and no one can seem to help me. I thank you for your help.

-Swerting

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. H(x)= ln(x2)= 2 ln(x)

No, it isn't. It is the limit as h approaches 0.

No. (H(7+h)- H(7))/h = (ln((7+h)2- ln(49))/h= 2(ln(7+h)- ln(7))/h

And, there, together will all of the mistakes I pointed out before is your problem. The derivative of ln(x2) at x= 7 is 2/7, not 2/5.

You can't get the "h" out of the natural log. Do you know the standard proof of the derivative of ln(x) itself?

Are you required to use that definition? I would think that using the derivative of ln(x) together with the chain rule of using the fact that if y= 2 ln(x) then x= ey/2 would be much simpler.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  4. Aug 23, 2008 #3
    Pardon me, the text on the page is quite small, and I overlooked something quite important! g(x)=(x^2)-4, that is my fault, but that is how I reached H(x)=2ln(x-2). Also, the '-2' in the first line of my attempt shouldn't be there, but I can't seem to get rid of it in the post. Finally, yes, I assume I am required to use that definition. We are not that far into the material, and we only know the one equation, and what H(x) equals.

P.S.- Sorry, the first post is always overwhelming to me, maybe double checking isn't enough anymore, next time I will triple check.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?