Deriving Fractions: Simplification Rules Explained

In summary: So when you bring down the exponent, the 2 comes down in front. In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of a polynomial and the correct answer is f'(x)=\frac{10-x}{18}. There was some confusion about the steps involved in finding the derivative, but it was clarified that the correct approach is to first pull out the constant and then differentiate.
ghostbuster25
Does anyone know how to derive a fraction?

I want to be able to differentiate f(x)=[tex]\frac{x(20-x)}{36}[/tex]

Ill show you what I've done but think I've just simplified it.

f(x)=[tex]\frac{x(20-x)}{36}[/tex]

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(20-x-x)}{36}[/tex]

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(10-x)}{18}[/tex]

Is this correct?...although not sure what the rule I've followed is :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, it's not a fraction, since the argument occurs only in the numerator. Therefore, it is simply a polynomial with coefficients
that are fractions.

BTW, your answer is correct.

ghostbuster25 said:
Does anyone know how to derive a fraction?

I want to be able to differentiate f(x)=[tex]\frac{x(20-x)}{36}[/tex]

Ill show you what I've done but think I've just simplified it.

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(20-x-x)}{36}[/tex]

Nope. It is equal to

[tex]\frac{20x -x^2}{36}[/tex]

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(10-x)}{18}[/tex]

Is this correct?...although not sure what the rule I've followed is :(

That last expression is the correct answer for the derivative, but only the Shadow knows why it all worked out to be the derivative, and why aren't you calling it f'(x)?

Im not sure what i have done then. I understand what you mean and how to differntiate polynominals(not very well) but i think what is throwing me is no exponent like x^3=3x^2 as its deivative.
Is my solution correct?

LCKurtz said:
That last expression is the correct answer for the derivative, but only the Shadow knows why it all worked out to be the derivative.
Actually, he used the product rule for [itex]x^{2} = x \cdot x[/itex].

Dickfore said:
Actually, he used the product rule for [itex]x^{2} = x \cdot x[/itex].

Yeah, I see now what he did. And he didn't call it f'(x) when he took the derivative.

I get it!

ok let me show you to mke sure

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(20x-x^2)}{36}[/tex]

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(20x-2x)}{36}[/tex]

f'(x)=[tex]\frac{1x}{2}[/tex]

that correct? although not f(x)=[tex]\frac{(10-x)}{18}[/tex] as you said...??

ghostbuster25 said:
I get it!

ok let me show you to mke sure

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(20x-x^2)}{36}[/tex]

f(x)=[tex]\frac{(20x-2x)}{36}[/tex]

That step isn't correct. If you are differentiating you should call it f'(x). And the derivative of 20x isn't 20x.

ok so derivative of 20x is 20...derivative of x^2 is 2x?
would that make it 20-2x/36...which is 20-2x/36 which is 1/-2x/18

that correct? sorry i know I am going the long way about this i just really want to understand what I am doing :)

ghostbuster25 said:
ok so derivative of 20x is 20...derivative of x^2 is 2x?
would that make it 20-2x/36...which is 20-2x/36 which is 1/-2x/18

that correct? sorry i know I am going the long way about this i just really want to understand what I am doing :)

If by "1/-2x/18" you meant [tex]\frac{10-2x}{18}[/tex], then yes.

Also, please note that 'derive' is not the correct term. In English, to derive means deduce a formula by doing some algebraic manipulations. The process of finding the derivative is called differentiation.

ha ha yes i did mean that. Thankyou for your help. Did LCKurtz make a mistake when he said 10-x/36 was correct?

ghostbuster25 said:
ha ha yes i did mean that. Thankyou for your help. Did LCKurtz make a mistake when he said 10-x/36 was correct?

No, I didn't. (20-2x)/36 = 2(10-x)/36 = (10-x)/18.

Before you even differentiate, pull the 1/36 out as a constant, and distribute the X to get:

20X - X2

then differentiate that, and multiply by the constant again and simplify.

ok thanks, sorry for ignorance but...why did you do that and not leave it as 2x?

Because X(20-X) = 20X - X2

1. What are the basic simplification rules for fractions?

The basic simplification rules for fractions are as follows:

• Divide both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor (GCF)
  • Cancel out any common factors between the numerator and denominator
  • If the numerator and denominator are both divisible by the same number, divide both by that number to simplify further

2. What is the GCF and how do you find it?

The GCF, or greatest common factor, is the largest number that divides evenly into both the numerator and denominator of a fraction. To find the GCF, you can list all the factors of the numerator and denominator and then find the largest one that is common to both lists.

3. Can fractions be simplified to a decimal?

Yes, fractions can be simplified to a decimal by dividing the numerator by the denominator. This will result in either a terminating decimal (a decimal with a finite number of digits) or a repeating decimal (a decimal with a repeating pattern of digits).

4. What is the difference between simplifying and reducing a fraction?

Simplifying a fraction means reducing it to its simplest form, where the numerator and denominator have no common factors. Reducing a fraction means dividing both the numerator and denominator by a common factor to make the fraction smaller, but it may not be in its simplest form.

5. How do you know if a fraction is already simplified?

A fraction is already simplified if the numerator and denominator have no common factors, meaning they cannot be divided by the same number to make them smaller. To check if a fraction is simplified, you can list all the factors of the numerator and denominator and see if they have any common factors.