Derive analytically the transconductance transfer function

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of deriving the transconductance transfer function for a Gm2.sch circuit block and verifying its accuracy using nodal analysis and simulation software. One minor mistake was found in the small-signal model, and advice is given on which nodes to use for nodal analysis and verifying calculations.
promach
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
I am planning to derive analytically the transconductance transfer function (Iout/Vin) of this Gm2.sch circuit block.

Is my small-signal model for Gm2.sch correct ?There is one minor mistake (Vgs5 should not be zero). Could anyone spot other mistakes in the small-signal circuit ?

I am planning to start nodal analysis to formulate analytically the transconductance transfer function (Iout/Vin) tomorrow.

However, there are so many nodes in this small-signal circuit. Which nodes should I pick for a start ? I believe I need to use all nodes such that I include all mosfets and resistors into the equation ?

Besides, I am going to use http://qsapecng.sourceforge.net/index.html to verify my own hand calculation. Anyone have any experience/advice regarding this ?

Gm2.png

Gm2 small signal model.jpg

Attachments

• Gm2.png
    Gm2.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 552
  • Gm2 small signal model.jpg
    Gm2 small signal model.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your small-signal model for Gm2.sch looks correct with the exception of Vgs5 being zero. For nodal analysis, you should pick a node as a reference node, preferably one that has no current flowing into or out of it. You can then calculate the voltage at each of the other nodes in the circuit by applying KCL equations.As for verifying your hand calculation, QSAPECNG is a great resource to make sure your calculations are accurate. It's a good idea to check your results against any simulation software you may have access to as well.

1. What is the purpose of deriving the transconductance transfer function analytically?

The transconductance transfer function is used to describe the relationship between the input voltage and the output current in a circuit. By deriving it analytically, we can understand the behavior of the circuit and make predictions about its performance.

2. How is the transconductance transfer function derived analytically?

The transconductance transfer function is derived by analyzing the circuit using mathematical equations, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. This allows us to determine the relationship between the input voltage, output current, and other circuit parameters.

3. What are the benefits of deriving the transconductance transfer function analytically?

Deriving the transconductance transfer function analytically allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit without having to physically build and test it. It also allows us to make changes to the circuit design and predict how it will affect the overall performance.

4. What information does the transconductance transfer function provide?

The transconductance transfer function provides information about the gain, bandwidth, and stability of the circuit. It also helps us understand the frequency response of the circuit and how it will behave under different input conditions.

5. How is the transconductance transfer function used in practical applications?

The transconductance transfer function is used in designing and analyzing electronic circuits, such as amplifiers and filters. It helps engineers and scientists to optimize the performance of these circuits and ensure they meet the desired specifications.