1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive lagrangian: finding potential energy of a particle constrained to a surface

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    Theres a question in which I need to derive a langrangian, and then the equations of motion for a particle constrained onto a surface. I think I'll be able to do it, except for the fact that I have no idea how to formulate the POTENTIAL ENERGY of the particle. I'd like to have a go at the rest myself, but can someone help me with how to just find the potential energy?
    The particle is constrained to a surface:
    z(x,y)= x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2,
    and its moving in presence of a gravitational force in -ve z direction.

Obviously the gravitational force is F=-mg, and potential will be some function of x and y??

I'd really appreciate some help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: derive lagrangian: finding potential energy of a particle constrained to a surfac

Start with the gravitational potential; what is that?

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    Re: derive lagrangian: finding potential energy of a particle constrained to a surfac

Thanks for replying. Gravitational potential is the potential energy per unit mass? Sorry, I still don't know where to go from there

5. Jan 25, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The gravitional potential is defined by [tex]\vec{F}_g=-\vec{\nabla}U_g[/tex], so for [tex]\vec{F}_g=-mg\hat{z}[/tex], one usually writes [tex]U_g=mgz[/tex]

...Surely you've seen this before?

6. Jan 25, 2009 #5

Yes, I have. Sorry, I knew it would be something obvious like that; sometimes I just overcomplicate things in my head and I miss what I should really get straight away. Thankyou for your help, I should be able to do it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?