How Can Projectile Motion Equations Be Derived from Basic Kinematics?

In summary, to derive the formula R=Vo^2(sin(sα) / -a from equations (1) and (2), you can isolate the variable t in equation (1) and substitute it into equation (2). The identity 2sin(theta) cos(theta)= sin(2theta) can be used to simplify the equations. For part b, you can use the given equation and the measured values of h and tf to derive an equation for g in terms of tf, h, and theta. Additionally, for part a, you can determine the time the projectile is in the air by using calculus on equation (2) and doubling it to account
madeeeeee
I want to derive some physics equations from other equations.

a) How can I derive this formula:
R=Vo^2(sin(sα) / -a
from these two equations:
(1) x=(Vo cosα)t
(2) y=(Vo sinα)t + 1/2at^2

Things I know
- I think the way to do this is to isolate the variable t in equation (1) and substitute the t in equation (2).
- Is the identity 2sin(theta) cos(theta)= sin(2theta) useful?
-When the projectile returns to its original level y=0
Please help me understand how to do this.

b) From equation
y=yo + Vyo t + 1/2at^2

how can I show that:
h= -1/2a(tf)^2

If I measure h and tf and recall that
a=-g sin (theta)
than this equation can be used to derive an equation for g in terms of tf, h and theta.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you defined your variables. What is sa? What is R? What is tf?

sorry its not sa its (2(alpha))
R is the range
tf is final time

so I did the part b and I got g=2h/(sin(theta)(tf)^2)...is this right? I still need help for the a)

Hint: Part a

Determine how long the projectile is in the air by determining how long it takes to reach its apex, then double it because it has to come down. You can get an equation for this time by using a little calculus on equation 2.

"Is the identity 2sin(theta) cos(theta)= sin(2theta) useful? "

Yes

a) To derive the projectile equation R=Vo^2(sin(sα) / -a, we can start by solving for t in equation (1) and substituting it into equation (2). This will give us an equation for y in terms of x and α:
y = xtanα - (gx^2)/(2Vo^2cos^2α)

Next, we can use the identity 2sinθcosθ = sin(2θ) to rewrite the equation as:
y = xtanα - (g/2Vo^2)sin(2α)x^2

Now, we can see that the maximum range of the projectile occurs when y = 0. So, we can set the equation equal to 0 and solve for x:
0 = xtanα - (g/2Vo^2)sin(2α)x^2
x = 0 or x = (2Vo^2/g)sin(2α)

Substituting this value of x back into the original equation, we get:
R = (2Vo^2/g)sin(2α)tanα - (g/2Vo^2)sin(2α)(2Vo^2/g)^2
R = (Vo^2/g)sin(2α)(2tanα - sin(2α))

Finally, we can use the identity sin(2α) = 2sinαcosα to simplify the equation:
R = (Vo^2/g)sinα(cosα - sinα)

b) To show that h = -1/2a(tf)^2, we can start by substituting the given values of a and t into the equation:
h = yo + Vyo(tf) + (1/2)(-g sinθ)(tf)^2

Next, we can use the fact that yo = 0 and Vyo = 0 at the highest point of the projectile's trajectory. This will simplify the equation to:
h = (1/2)(-g sinθ)(tf)^2

Finally, we can use the given values of h and tf to solve for g:
g = -(2h)/(sinθ(tf)^2)

1. What is the projectile equation?

The projectile equation is a mathematical expression that describes the motion of an object in a parabolic path, such as a thrown ball or a launched missile. It takes into account the object's initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time elapsed.

2. How do you derive the projectile equation?

The projectile equation can be derived using the principles of classical mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. By applying these laws to a projectile's motion, we can derive the equation that describes its trajectory.

3. What are the variables in the projectile equation?

The variables in the projectile equation are the object's initial velocity (v), acceleration due to gravity (g), time (t), and the horizontal and vertical components of the object's position (x and y). These variables can be used to calculate the object's position at any given time during its flight.

4. How does air resistance affect the projectile equation?

Air resistance can affect the projectile equation by altering the object's velocity and acceleration. In most cases, air resistance is negligible for small objects moving at low speeds, but for larger objects or higher speeds, it can significantly impact the object's trajectory and therefore the projectile equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of the projectile equation?

The projectile equation has many real-life applications, including predicting the trajectory of a thrown ball in sports, calculating the flight path of a rocket or missile, and designing roller coasters. It is also used in military and engineering applications to accurately predict the path of projectiles.