1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive the equation

1. Oct 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as

I have no clue how to do this please can someone help!

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2013 #2
    Notice that there is no t involved in this relationship. Look at your equations for distance and average acceleration and see how to eliminate t.

4. Oct 4, 2013 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I don't know about you, but whenever I see velocity-squared terms I tend to think about kinetic energy... :wink:

5. Oct 4, 2013 #4
    gneill, I am sure you are correct but you can also derive this equation from two basic equations and energy principals are not required.

6. Oct 4, 2013 #5

gneill

Sure. But it's nice to have options. Some approaches are more intuitively obvious to different people.

7. Oct 4, 2013 #6
    If you use energy, then you have to introduce mass and this is not necessary.

8. Oct 4, 2013 #7

gneill

Mass disappears by cancellation. No biggie. Or use specific energy :smile:

9. Oct 4, 2013 #8
    So why complicate a simple problem?

10. Oct 4, 2013 #9

gneill

It's no more complicated an approach if you're familiar with the concept. Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Let's wait to see what the OP comes up with.

11. Oct 4, 2013 #10
    Derive via using other kinematic equations?

12. Oct 4, 2013 #11
    Note that this equation is assuming that acceleration, the derivative of velocity with respect to time, is constant. This is, then, just a simple exercise in calculus.

13. Oct 4, 2013 #12
    Hi Marksmeets. Welcome to Physics Forums. We can best answer your question if we know whether you have had calculus yet. Have you?

14. Oct 4, 2013 #13
    I'm thinking if its an intro class then there's no calculus and just want you to use other kinematic equations to this one. I remember having a question where it was just that for intro physics but I can't be certain about op.

15. Oct 4, 2013 #14
    This is definitely an intro physics question. Only algebra 1 is needed, that is if you have the two kinematic equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted