1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derive the form of a function

1. Feb 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a,b,c, and d such that the cubic f(x)=[tex]ax^{3}+bx^{2}+cx+d [/tex]satisfies the indicated conditions.

Relative maximum (3,3)
    Relative minimum (5,1)
    Inflection point (4,2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am so lost as to how to do this :/.

Its a polynomial so f ' (x) must = 0 at x=3 and x=5 (can't not exist), and I also know that the derivative of f(x) will be a function of degree 2, which can have at most two roots. Thus the function must be of the form a(x-3)(x-5)=f ' (x), right?

I know that the second derivative is defined for all x (can't have negative exponents, they would become constants before that point). And that f '' (x)=0 at x=4...

I just can't see how to piece it all together. Can someone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Work out the explicit form of the first and second derivatives of f. Then plug in x=3 and x=5 into the first derivative, which you said must be zero. Plug in x=4 into the second derivative, which again, you said must be zero. This will give you 3 equations in 3 unknowns, which you can solve.

4. Feb 27, 2007 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] f'(x)=3a(x-3)(x-5)\equiv 3ax^2 +2bx +c [/tex]

is a place to start.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?