How Do You Derive the Klein-Gordon Propagator from Commutation Relations?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about deriving the K-G propagator in Peskin's book on Chapter 2 of elementary particle physics. The conversation also mentions the distinction between the 1995 book by Peskin and Schroeder and the 2019 book solely authored by Peskin. It also mentions the relevant equations for the K-G propagator and encourages the original poster to provide more specific details about their question. The conversation ends with the moderator closing the thread due to a substandard post and requesting the original poster to start a new thread with a better post.
HadronPhysics
New poster has been reminded to ask a better question and show their work when posting schoolwork-type questions
Homework Statement
I am reading Peskin's book on Chapter 2. I have a question about deriving the K-G propagator
Relevant Equations
## \bra 0|[\phi(x), \phi(y)] |0 \ket = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_{p}} \left( e^{-ip(x-y)} - e^{ip(x-y)} \right) =\int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_{p}}e^{-ip(x-y)} + \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{-2E_{p}}e^{-ip(x-y)}##
$r$

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question?

Standard derivation of the K-G propagator ? (o:))

Sorry I got no clue which book he means and got no clue what is that propagator. I suspect it has something to do with QFT of which I know very little...

All I know is that K-G probably stands for Klein - Gordon and I don't even know why I am replying to this post, I vent sleep well but I just can't sleep and I feel I got something to do.

Delta2 said:
Standard derivation of the K-G propagator ?
Should be a more specific question, about some detail or something.

HadronPhysics said:
Relevant Equations:: ## \bra 0|[\phi(x), \phi(y)] |0 \ket = \ldots ##
Also it should read ##$ \langle 0|[\phi(x), \phi(y)] |0 \rangle = ##
Delta2 said:
Sorry I got no clue which book he means and got no clue what is that propagator. I suspect it has something to do with QFT of which I know very little...
Yeah it is QFT

Likes George Jones and Delta2
HadronPhysics said:
Homework Statement:: I am reading Peskin's book on Chapter 2.
No, you are reading the 1995 book by Peskin and Schroeder. The distinction is important because there is a 2019 book authored solely by Peskin.

malawi_glenn said:
Should be a more specific question, about some detail or something.

Yes, what is the specific difficulty? Something on pages 29 - 31?

Likes vanhees71 and Delta2
George Jones said:
The distinction is important because there is a 2019 book authored solely by Peskin.
But chapter 2 in that book "concepts of elementary particle physics" does not deal with scalar quantum field theory :)

Likes Delta2
HadronPhysics said:
Homework Statement:: I am reading Peskin's book on Chapter 2. I have a question about deriving the K-G propagator
Relevant Equations:: ## \bra 0|[\phi(x), \phi(y)] |0 \ket = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_{p}} \left( e^{-ip(x-y)} - e^{ip(x-y)} \right) =\int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_{p}}e^{-ip(x-y)} + \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{-2E_{p}}e^{-ip(x-y)}##

$r$
Welcome to PF!

Please elaborate what your specific question is and if it is an actual homework problem, please show your attempt at a solution first. Also, sometimes an answer can be found looking at relevant threads from the past which are pulled up at the bottom of this page. Thanks.

Likes malawi_glenn
HadronPhysics said:
Homework Statement:: I am reading Peskin's book on Chapter 2. I have a question about deriving the K-G propagator
Relevant Equations:: ## \bra 0|[\phi(x), \phi(y)] |0 \ket = \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_{p}} \left( e^{-ip(x-y)} - e^{ip(x-y)} \right) =\int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{2E_{p}}e^{-ip(x-y)} + \int \frac{d^3 p}{(2\pi)^3} \frac{1}{-2E_{p}}e^{-ip(x-y)}##

$r$
Thread has been closed as Substandard. The new OP has been asked to start a new thread with a better post, including details about what exactly is confusing them in this material. Thanks folks for trying.

Likes PhDeezNutz and malawi_glenn

1. What is the K-G propagator?

The K-G propagator, also known as the Klein-Gordon propagator, is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude for a scalar particle to propagate from one point to another in spacetime. It is derived from the Klein-Gordon equation, which describes the behavior of spinless particles.

2. How is the K-G propagator derived?

The K-G propagator is derived by solving the Klein-Gordon equation using the Green's function method. This involves finding a solution to the equation that satisfies certain boundary conditions and then using this solution to construct the propagator.

3. What is the significance of the K-G propagator?

The K-G propagator is an important tool in quantum field theory, as it allows us to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to propagate from one point to another. It is also used in calculations of scattering amplitudes and in the study of particle interactions.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving the K-G propagator?

The derivation of the K-G propagator assumes that the particle is a scalar, meaning it has no spin. It also assumes that the particle is free, meaning it is not subject to any external forces. Additionally, it assumes that the particle is described by the Klein-Gordon equation, which is a relativistic wave equation.

5. How is the K-G propagator used in practical applications?

The K-G propagator is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in quantum field theory calculations, particle physics experiments, and the study of quantum field theories in curved spacetime. It is also used in theoretical models of particle interactions and in the development of new theories in physics.