1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derived set is closed

1. Jun 9, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

Would anyone be able to comment if my proof is sound or can be simplified.

Let (X,d) be a metric space, A a subset of X. The derived set A' of A is the set of all limit points of sequences in A.

Proposition: A' is closed.

Proof: Show that its
    complement is open. Let [itex]x\in X\backslash A'[/itex] Then [itex]x\not\in \overline{A}[/itex] so there is a
    non-zero [itex]\varepsilon_x[/itex] s.t. [itex]B(x,\varepsilon_x) \cap A = \emptyset
    \Rightarrow B(x,\varepsilon_x) \subseteq X \backslash A[/itex]. Suppose
    [itex]\exists y \in B(x,\varepsilon_x)[/itex] which in addition belongs to
    A'. Then there's an open ball [itex]B(y,\varepsilon_y) \subseteq
    B(x,\varepsilon_x)[/itex] about y which intersects A. Then
    [itex]B(x,\varepsilon_x) \cap A \neq \emptyset[/itex]. This contradiction shows
    that [itex]B(x,\varepsilon_x) \subseteq X\backslash A'[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can see, [tex]A'=\overline{A}[/tex] !

4. Jun 9, 2007 #3
    Now that I think about it, it seems like you are correct. Since surely [itex]A' \supseteq A[/itex]. When I look at my lecture notes/lectures however, the define

[itex]\overline{A} = A \cup A' [/itex].

Are there any counterexamples where [itex]A' \neq \overline{A}[/itex]?

5. Jun 9, 2007 #4
    Ahh yes.

Now that I think about the definition of A', it is not always true that [itex]A'\supseteq A[/itex] since the definition of A' requires that for each x in A there by a point, a ,NOT EQUAL to x s.t. d(x,a) < epsilon for all epsilon > 0.

[itex]A' \supseteq A[/itex] will fail for any discrete space.

6. Jun 10, 2007 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand your last two posts.

Is it true or not that
    ???

If so, then we can show that every point in [itex]A'[/itex] is in [tex]\overline{A}[/tex] and vice versa. Firstly, observe that [tex]\overline{A}=A\cup \mbox{Acc}(A)[/tex] (Acc(A) being the set of all accumulation points of A).

Let x be in A'. If x is in A, then x is in the closure also. If not, then x is obviously an accumulation point of A, so x is in the closure again. This shows that [tex]A'\subset \overline{A}[/tex].

Now let x be in [tex]\overline{A}[/tex]. Then x is in A or in Acc(A). If x is in A, then define the constant sequence x_n=x. So x is in A'. If x is in Acc(A), then it is also easy to find a sequence of elements of A converging to x, so that x is in A' again. This shows that [tex]\overline{A}\subset A'[/tex].

So it must be that [tex]A'=\overline{A}[/tex].

7. Jun 12, 2007 #6
    The word limit point and accumulation point are equivalent in the course I'm taking. You cannot claim that x is a limit point because it is the limit of the constant sequence {x,x,...}.

If you take the discrete space consisting of just two points, say. Then no point in the space is an accumulation point/limit point.

It is of course true that [itex]A' \subseteq \overline{A}[/itex] since [itex]\overline{A} = A \cup A'[/itex].

I now think my original post is in error because [itex]x\not\in A' \not\implies x\not\in \overline{A}[/itex].

Do you have any suggestions on how to correct this?

thanks

James

8. Jun 12, 2007 #7

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To show Acc(A) is closed, show that a sequence of points in Acc(A) lies in Acc(A).

9. Jun 12, 2007 #8
    I'm sure you meant to write:

To show Acc(A) is closed, show that if a sequence of points in Acc(A) converges to a limit, then the limit lies in Acc(A).

10. Jun 12, 2007 #9

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The typical example is:
    [tex]A=\{ \frac{1}{n} \}[/tex]
    [tex]A'=\{ 0 \}[/tex]

11. Jun 12, 2007 #10

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?