Deriving 2D Navier Stokes EQs

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the 2D N-S equations for steady, incompressible, constant viscosity flow in the xy-plane using a control volume approach and the conservation of linear momentum. The equations for the conservation of linear momentum for a control volume are given, and the forum member asks for advice on the application of these equations and the bounds of the integrals. The expert provides guidance on the correct approach and suggests adjusting the bounds of the integrals to account for the 2D nature of the flow.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I need to derive the 2D N-S equations for steady, incompressible, constant viscosity flow in the xy-plane. I need to use a control volume approach (as opposed to system approach) on a differential control volume (CV) using the conseervation of linear momentum.

Homework Equations

Conservation of Linear Momentum for a CV is given by:

[tex]\mathbf{F} = \frac{\partial{}}{\partial{t}}\int_v\mathbf{V}\rho\,dv + \int_{A_{in}}\mathbf{V}\rho(\mathbf{V}\cdot\hat{n})\,dA_{in}
+ \int_{A_{out}}\mathbf{V}\rho(\mathbf{V}\cdot\hat{n})\,dA_{out}
\qquad(1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is with the application of (1). I have a control volume with dimensions dx,dy,1 (unit depth). Now (1) is a vector equation so it can (and probably should) be divided up into its components. We know it is steady and hence the first term in (1) goes to zero.

Note that [itex]\mathbf{V} = u\hat{i} + v\hat{j}[/itex]

x-momentum:

[tex]
F_x = \int u\rho \left [u\hat{i}\cdot(-\hat{i})\right ]\,dy(1)
+
\int (u+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}\,dx)\rho(u+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}\,dx)\hat{i}\cdot\hat{i}\,dy(1)
[/tex]

Now I know that I can simplify some things here, but

i) Does this look correct?
ii) What are the bounds of my integrals?

Any advice is appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach looks good so far. The only thing that needs to be adjusted is the bounds of your integrals. Since you are dealing with a 2D flow in the xy-plane, your control volume should have bounds of x and y. Therefore, your integrals should be:

F_x = \int_{x_1}^{x_2}\int_{y_1}^{y_2} u\rho \left [u\hat{i}\cdot(-\hat{i})\right ]\,dy\,dx
+
\int_{x_1}^{x_2}\int_{y_1}^{y_2} (u+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}\,dx)\rho(u+\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}}\,dx)\hat{i}\cdot\hat{i}\,dy\,dx

Where x_1 and x_2 are the bounds of your control volume in the x-direction, and y_1 and y_2 are the bounds in the y-direction. These bounds will depend on the specific problem you are trying to solve.

Keep up the good work and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. Best of luck with your derivation!

1. What are Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid in space. They are named after French mathematician and physicist Claude-Louis Navier and Irish mathematician and physicist George Gabriel Stokes.

2. Why are Navier-Stokes equations important?

Navier-Stokes equations are important because they provide a fundamental understanding of fluid mechanics and are used to solve a wide range of engineering problems, such as predicting air flow around an airplane or water flow around a ship.

3. How are Navier-Stokes equations derived?

Navier-Stokes equations are derived from the fundamental laws of physics, namely the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. They are derived using the principles of calculus and vector calculus to describe the motion of a fluid in three-dimensional space.

4. What is the significance of 2D Navier-Stokes equations?

2D Navier-Stokes equations are a simplified version of the full 3D equations that are often used in fluid mechanics research and engineering applications. They are useful for studying laminar flow, which occurs when fluid particles move in parallel layers with no mixing between them.

5. Are Navier-Stokes equations difficult to solve?

Solving Navier-Stokes equations can be challenging and often requires the use of numerical methods due to the complex nature of the equations. However, with advancements in computing power and algorithms, these equations can now be solved accurately and efficiently for a wide range of applications.