1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving a bound on a PDE

1. Sep 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi!
    Not sure if I'm posting in the right section, this problem is from a course in scientific computing. Anyway, we're considering a set of PDEs:

[tex] u_t + Au_x = 0 \quad 0<x<1, \ t>0 \\
    u(x,0) = f(x) \quad 0 \leq x \leq1 \\
    u_1(0,t) = 0 \quad t \geq 0 \\
    u_2(1,t) = 0 \quad t \geq 0 \\
    u =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    u_1 \\
    u_2
    \end{pmatrix},
    \quad A = \begin{pmatrix}
    0 & 1 \\
    1 & 0
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

Now, I want to compute a bound ||u(*, )|| in terms of f. We have the standard inner product and the norm, where ||u||^2 = (u,u).

3. The attempt at a solution
    First and foremost, my idea is that I use what's called the energy method, where we multiply with u, integrate in space and apply the BCs, to find ||u||. What I can't wrap my head around though is the fact that A is a matrix and in reality I have two equations, but coupled since they both contain u1 and u2. Should I introduce two variables to multiply the equations with? How can I deal with the matrix while integrating? Or should I just give up the energy method completely and take on another approach?

Any help or small hints are much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Physmatics. You might find a better audience for your question in one of the mathematics homework forums. Maybe try
    Calculus & Beyond Homework.

If you wish I can move your thread there. Let me know.

4. Oct 1, 2014 #3
    Thank you for replying!
    I figured out how to solve it on my own though, and if anyone is interested I can obviously describe the solution here :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted