Deriving a Bound for a System of Coupled PDEs Using the Energy Method

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a set of PDEs and the attempt at finding a bound for the norm of the solution in terms of the initial condition. The poster considers using the energy method, but is unsure about how to deal with the matrix in the equations. They also ask for help or hints, but later state that they have solved the problem on their own.
physmatics

Homework Statement

Hi!
Not sure if I'm posting in the right section, this problem is from a course in scientific computing. Anyway, we're considering a set of PDEs:

[tex] u_t + Au_x = 0 \quad 0<x<1, \ t>0 \\
u(x,0) = f(x) \quad 0 \leq x \leq1 \\
u_1(0,t) = 0 \quad t \geq 0 \\
u_2(1,t) = 0 \quad t \geq 0 \\
u =
\begin{pmatrix}
u_1 \\
u_2
\end{pmatrix},
\quad A = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Now, I want to compute a bound ||u(*, )|| in terms of f. We have the standard inner product and the norm, where ||u||^2 = (u,u).

The Attempt at a Solution

First and foremost, my idea is that I use what's called the energy method, where we multiply with u, integrate in space and apply the BCs, to find ||u||. What I can't wrap my head around though is the fact that A is a matrix and in reality I have two equations, but coupled since they both contain u1 and u2. Should I introduce two variables to multiply the equations with? How can I deal with the matrix while integrating? Or should I just give up the energy method completely and take on another approach?

Any help or small hints are much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Physmatics. You might find a better audience for your question in one of the mathematics homework forums. Maybe try
Calculus & Beyond Homework.

If you wish I can move your thread there. Let me know.

Thank you for replying!
I figured out how to solve it on my own though, and if anyone is interested I can obviously describe the solution here :)

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or Partial Differential Equation, is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and partial derivatives of a function with respect to those variables. It is commonly used to model physical processes in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

2. Why is it important to derive a bound on a PDE?

Deriving a bound on a PDE allows us to understand the behavior of the solution to the equation. It can help us determine if the solution is stable, how it changes over time, and how small changes in the initial conditions or parameters can affect the solution.

3. What methods are commonly used to derive bounds on PDEs?

There are various methods used to derive bounds on PDEs, such as energy methods, maximum principles, and comparison principles. These methods involve analyzing the properties of the equation and using mathematical techniques to obtain a bound on the solution.

4. Can bounds on PDEs be used to validate numerical solutions?

Yes, bounds on PDEs can be used to validate numerical solutions. By comparing the numerical solution to the derived bound, we can determine if the solution is within the expected range and if the numerical method used to obtain the solution is accurate.

5. Are there any limitations to deriving bounds on PDEs?

Yes, there are limitations to deriving bounds on PDEs. Some equations may be too complex to derive a bound, or the bound may only hold for a specific range of parameters. In addition, the bound may not accurately reflect the behavior of the solution in all cases, so it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of the derived bound.