How can the heat equation be derived for a long circular cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses heat flow in a long circular cylinder and the temperature's dependence on time and distance from the cylinder's axis. The equation u_{t}=k(u_{rr}+\frac{u_{r}}{r}) is derived from the three-dimensional heat equation, and the conversation also touches on using spherical coordinates and taking advantage of symmetry to simplify the equation.
BustedBreaks
Consider heat flow in a long circular cylinder where the temperature depends only on t and on the distance r to the axis of the cylinder. Here [tex]r=\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}[/tex] is the cylindrical coordinate. From the three dimensional heat equation derive the equation [tex]u_{t}=k(u_{rr}+\frac{u_{r}}{r})[/tex].

My book describes how the general heat equation is derived, but I'm having trouble incorporating the equation for r and in general understanding these concepts.

The book starts out with:

[tex]H(t)=\int\int\int c\rho u dxdydz[/tex] which I'm somewhat confident I can change to

[tex]H(t)=\int\int\int c\rho u dxdydr[/tex] because of the equation with r

Then the book has
[tex]\frac{dH}{dt}=\int\int\int c\rho u_{t} dxdydr[/tex] which makes sense to me

then after this I am a bit confused. I don't really know what to do next in terms of answering the question.

Physics news on Phys.org
This can be done very easily, by rewriting the heat equation in spherical coordinates and taking advantage of the symmetry of the situation. A little bit of re-arranging gives you the equation.

1. What is a heat equation?

A heat equation is a mathematical formula that describes the way heat is transferred in a given system. It is used to model and predict the temperature distribution in a material over time.

2. How is a heat equation derived?

A heat equation is derived using principles from thermodynamics, such as the laws of conservation of energy and the second law of thermodynamics. It is also based on Fourier's law of heat conduction, which states that the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the temperature gradient.

3. What are the key assumptions made when deriving a heat equation?

Some of the key assumptions made when deriving a heat equation include: the material being homogeneous and isotropic, heat transfer occurring only through conduction, and no internal heat generation or external heat sources.

4. What are the applications of a heat equation?

A heat equation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science. It can be used to study heat transfer in various systems, such as buildings, electronics, and chemical reactions. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of materials under different thermal conditions.

5. Can a heat equation be solved analytically?

In some cases, a heat equation can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and Fourier series. However, for more complex systems, numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods are often used to solve the equation.