Deriving Acceleration from Potential Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential energy V at a given point (1,1,1) using the known expression V(x,y,z) = α·x + β·y2 + γ·z3. It also delves into using Conservation of Energy to determine v, and the expression for accelerations ax, ay, and az. The conversation suggests using the gradient of V to find the force F, then using the chain rule to find the accelerations. A simplified expression for az is given as -(3γ/m)·z2.
cj
I have a known potential energy, V, expression:

V(x,y,z) = α·x + β·y2 + γ·z3

I'm given: @(0,0,0), v = v0 and then asked to find v at (1,1,1).

I can determine v from Conservation of Energy:

v2 = v02 - (2/m)·(α + β + γ)2

In general, what is the expression for the accelerations ax, ay, az?

Do I find F from -∇V?

If so, what's next (as far as finding the acceleration's x, y and z-components)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.Why have you squared the potential energy term??

2. Yes, and divide F by m to find the accelerations.

cj said:
I have a known potential energy, V, expression:

V(x,y,z) = α·x + β·y2 + γ·z3

I'm given: @(0,0,0), v = v0 and then asked to find v at (1,1,1).

I can determine v from Conservation of Energy:

v2 = v02 - (2/m)·(α + β + γ)2

In general, what is the expression for the accelerations ax, ay, az?

Do I find F from -∇V?

If so, what's next (as far as finding the acceleration's x, y and z-components)?

Thanks!

arildno sort of told you how to start it off. You should have F (and a) from the gradient of V. However, you will notice that "a" has a dependence on x, y, and z. If a is a function of t, then it is trivial to find v. But you don't have that here.

So what you need to do to find v is to use some calculus gymnastics by invoking the chain rule, i.e.

a = dv/dt = (dv_x/dx * dx/dt)i^ + (dv_y/dy * dy/dt)j^ + (dv_z/dz * dz/dt)k^

It is easier to solve this component by component, so for the x-component, you have

a_x = dv_x/dx * v_x (since dx/dt = v_x)

Thus, a_x dx = v_x dv_x

I think you should be able to handle the baby integral here using the initial conditions given. Do the same thing for the other 2 components.

Zz.

Thanks a lot Zz.

When solving, for example, az, I arrive at:

az = -(3γ/m)·z2

In general, is this a sufficient expression for az,
or should it be reduced or otherwise expressed differently?

ZapperZ said:
arildno sort of told you how to start it off. You should have F (and a) from the gradient of V. However, you will notice that "a" has a dependence on x, y, and z. If a is a function of t, then it is trivial to find v. But you don't have that here.

So what you need to do to find v is to use some calculus gymnastics by invoking the chain rule, i.e.

a = dv/dt = (dv_x/dx * dx/dt)i^ + (dv_y/dy * dy/dt)j^ + (dv_z/dz * dz/dt)k^

It is easier to solve this component by component, so for the x-component, you have

a_x = dv_x/dx * v_x (since dx/dt = v_x)

Thus, a_x dx = v_x dv_x

I think you should be able to handle the baby integral here using the initial conditions given. Do the same thing for the other 2 components.

Zz.

cj said:
Thanks a lot Zz.

When solving, for example, az, I arrive at:

az = -(3γ/m)·z2

In general, is this a sufficient expression for az,
or should it be reduced or otherwise expressed differently?

ASSUMING you did the gradient correctly, that should be a sufficient expression for the a_z to play with.

Zz.

1. How is acceleration derived from potential energy?

To derive acceleration from potential energy, we use the formula F = -dU/dx, where F is the force, U is the potential energy, and x is the position. This formula is based on the fundamental relationship between force and potential energy.

2. What is the relationship between potential energy and acceleration?

Potential energy and acceleration are inversely related. As potential energy increases, acceleration decreases, and vice versa. This is because an object with higher potential energy has less kinetic energy, resulting in a lower acceleration.

3. Can potential energy be negative and still yield acceleration?

Yes, potential energy can be negative and still produce acceleration. Negative potential energy simply indicates that the object is in a lower energy state. As the object moves towards a region of lower potential energy, it will experience an acceleration that brings it closer to equilibrium.

4. How does mass factor into the derivation of acceleration from potential energy?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the derivation of acceleration from potential energy. However, the mass of an object does impact its potential energy, and therefore, its acceleration. Objects with greater mass have a higher potential energy, resulting in a lower acceleration.

5. What are some real-world applications of deriving acceleration from potential energy?

Deriving acceleration from potential energy is a fundamental concept in physics and has many real-world applications. Some examples include calculating the acceleration of a roller coaster car, predicting the speed of a falling object, and understanding the motion of planets in orbit around a central body.