Deriving arccos from arcsin using trigonometric identities

• Thread starter guildmage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    deriving
BTW, the problem statement was to prove that \arccos \,z= \left( -1 \right) ^{n+1} \arcsin \,z+\pi/2\, +n\pi is true for every complex number z and every integer n.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that asks to prove the equation \arccos \,z= \left( -1 \right) ^{n+1} \arcsin \,z+\pi/2\, +n\pi for all complex numbers z and integers n. The attempted solution provided includes a sign error and a mistaken assumption about the periodicity of \cos z. The expert advises
guildmage

Homework Statement

I want to show that:

[tex] \arccos \,z= \left( -1 \right) ^{n+1} \arcsin \,z+\pi/2\, +n\pi [/tex]

Homework Equations

There is a trigonometric identity that says
[tex] \arccos \,z= \pi/2\, -\arcsin \,z [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I have come up to this
[tex] \arccos\,z=\pi/2\, -{\it i}\log\ \left( -iz+\sqrt {1-{z}^{2}} \right) [/tex]

What is left to show is that

[tex] \arcsin\, \left( -z \right) = \arcsin\,z [/tex]

My plan is to add the periodicity (is that the term?) later on since
[tex] -\cos\,z= \cos\ \left( z+\pi \right) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
guildmage said:

Homework Statement

I want to show that:

Why would you want to show this?...It isn't true!

For example, for n=2 you have [tex] \left( -1 \right) ^{n+1} \arcsin \,z+\pi/2\, +n\pi =- \arcsin \,z+\pi/2\ +2\pi=\arccos \,z +2\pi \neq \arccos \,z[/tex]...

So far, I have come up to this
[tex] \arccos\,z=\pi/2\, -{\it i}\log\ \left( -iz+\sqrt {1-{z}^{2}} \right) [/tex]

Not sure what you did to get to this point, but you have a sign error; you should have

[tex] \arccos\,z=\pi/2\, +{\it i}\log\ \left( -iz+\sqrt {1-{z}^{2}} \right) [/tex]

What is left to show is that

[tex] \arcsin\, \left( -z \right) = \arcsin\,z [/tex]

Again, why would you want to show this? The fact that [itex]\sin(-x)=-\sin(x)[/itex] should tell you that it's not true.

Is this part of a larger problem? What is the original question?

This problem is not part of a bigger problem:

I have seen a similar computation http://math.fullerton.edu/mathews/c2003/ComplexFunTrigInverseMod.html" .

I am not sure though how [tex] \arcsin\, \left( -z \right) = \arcsin\,z [/tex] was derived.

Last edited by a moderator:
That link contains a typo (at least one): [itex]\arcsin(-z)=-\arcsin(z)\neq\arcsin(z)[/itex]...plug in some numbers into your calculator if you don't believe me.While your at it, plug some numbers into the equation your trying to prove...you'll find that it isn't true (except for n=0 of course)

Let's say you're right. How then do I resolve this? Do I provide a counterexample instead of proving it? The problem was explicit in saying that I should prove it.

This problem is given by my professor in Complex Variables which I am taking under an MS Math degree program.

Provide a counter example...say z=0 and n=1 for example...

Are you sure you weren't asked to show

[tex]\cos\left(\left( -1 \right) ^{n+1} \arcsin \,z+\pi/2\, +n\pi \right)=z[/tex]

Because that actually is true...the reason that you can't just take the arccos of both sides is that arcos always returns the principle value, so arcos(z) is always between 0 and 2pi, while [itex]\left( -1 \right) ^{n+1} \arcsin \,z+\pi/2\, +n\pi[/itex] need not be...this is why what you say you are trying to prove, is not true.

I'm sure that the problem I posted was the original problem.

Thanks for your advice. I'll ask my professor about it.

I just thought, isn't it that since that arccos is expressed in terms of log, then it should be multiple-valued since log is?

Since when is Log multiple valued? :confused:

ArcCos and Log are both defined in a way that makes them single valued.

This is our definition:

[tex] \log \,z= \ln \, \left| z \right| +i Arg \left( z+2\,n\pi \right) [/tex]

as opposed to

[tex] Log \,z= \ln \, \left| z \right| +i Arg z [/tex]

So log here becomes multiple valued, whereas Log is not.

1. How is the arccos function related to the arcsin function?

The arccos function is the inverse of the cosine function, while the arcsin function is the inverse of the sine function. This means that they are inverses of each other and can be used to find the angle in a right triangle given the ratio of sides.

2. Why is it important to know how to derive arccos from arcsin?

Knowing how to derive arccos from arcsin allows us to solve for angles in a wider range of situations, as the inverse cosine function is not defined for all values. This also helps in simplifying trigonometric expressions and solving trigonometric equations.

3. What is the process for deriving arccos from arcsin?

The process for deriving arccos from arcsin involves using the Pythagorean identity and the definition of inverse functions. This allows us to express the inverse cosine function in terms of the inverse sine function and solve for the angle.

4. Can you provide an example of deriving arccos from arcsin?

Sure, let's say we have an angle with a sine ratio of 0.6. Using the arcsin function, we can find the angle to be approximately 37 degrees. To find the arccos of this angle, we first use the Pythagorean identity to find the cosine ratio, which is 0.8. Then, we use the definition of inverse functions to express arccos in terms of arcsin, giving us arccos(0.6) = 90 degrees - arcsin(0.6) = 90 degrees - 37 degrees = 53 degrees.

5. Are there any special cases when deriving arccos from arcsin?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when deriving arccos from arcsin. The first is when the sine ratio is 1, which will result in the arccos being 0. The second is when the sine ratio is -1, which will result in the arccos being 180 degrees. In both cases, the inverse cosine function is not defined, so we must use the Pythagorean identity to find the cosine ratio and then use the definition of inverse functions to find the angle.