Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving component form of Riemann tensor in general frame

1. Sep 10, 2015 #1
    How does one derive the general form of the Riemann tensor components when it is defined with respect to the Levi-Civita connection?

I assumed it was just a "plug-in and play" situation, however I end up with extra terms that don't agree with the form I've looked up in a book. In a general coordinate frame it should be of the form [tex] R_{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}\equiv g_{\kappa\zeta}R^{\zeta}_{\;\lambda\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\lambda}g_{\nu\kappa}-\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\kappa}g_{\nu\lambda}-\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\lambda}g_{\mu\kappa}+\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\kappa}g_{\mu\lambda}\right)+g_{\kappa\zeta}\left(\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\mu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\nu\lambda}-\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\nu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\mu\lambda}\right)[/tex]
    However, when I naively calculate ##R_{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}=g_{\kappa\zeta}\left[\partial_{\mu}\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\nu\lambda}-\partial_{\nu}\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\mu\lambda}+\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\mu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\nu\lambda}-\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\nu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\mu\lambda}\right]## using that [tex]\Gamma^{\lambda}_{\;\mu\nu}=\bigg\lbrace\matrix{\lambda \\ \mu\nu}\bigg\rbrace=\frac{1}{2}g^{\lambda\eta}\left(\partial_{\mu}g_{\nu\eta}+\partial_{\nu}g_{\eta\mu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\mu\nu}\right)[/tex] I end up with the following extra contributions [tex]\frac{1}{2}g_{\kappa\zeta}\left(\partial_{\mu}g^{\zeta\eta}\right)\left(\partial_{\nu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\nu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\nu\lambda}\right)-\frac{1}{2}g_{\kappa\zeta}\left(\partial_{\nu}g^{\zeta\eta}\right)\left(\partial_{\mu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\mu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\mu\lambda}\right)[/tex] which I can't seem to make disappear! What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There's no way to tell what you're doing wrong if you don't show your actual calculations.

4. Sep 10, 2015 #3
    Apologies. Here's what I've done so far:

[tex]R_{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}\equiv g_{\kappa\zeta}R^{\zeta}_{\;\lambda\mu\nu}=g_{\kappa\zeta}\left[\partial_{\mu}\left(\frac{1}{2}g^{\zeta\eta}\left(\partial_{\nu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\nu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\nu\lambda}\right)\right)-\partial_{\nu}\left(\frac{1}{2}g^{\zeta\eta}\left(\partial_{\mu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\mu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\mu\lambda}\right)\right)+\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\mu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\nu\lambda}-\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\nu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\mu\lambda}\right]\\
    =g_{\kappa\zeta}\left[\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial_{\mu}g^{\zeta\eta}\right)\left(\partial_{\nu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\nu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\nu\lambda}\right)-\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial_{\nu}g^{\zeta\eta}\right)\left(\partial_{\mu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\mu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\mu\lambda}\right)+\frac{1}{2}g^{\zeta\eta}\left(\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\nu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\nu}-\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\eta}g_{\nu\lambda}\right)-\frac{1}{2}g^{\zeta\eta}\left(\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\mu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\mu}-\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\eta}g_{\mu\lambda}\right)+\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\mu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\nu\lambda}-\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\nu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\mu\lambda}\right][/tex]

So upon a bit of algebra I end up with what I put in my first post, i.e. the correct expression plus the two extra contributions.

5. Sep 10, 2015 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Also, which book?

6. Sep 10, 2015 #5
    Nakahara's book: "Geometry, topology & physics", in the chapter on Riemannian geometry (chapter 7), section on the Levi-Civita connection.

7. Sep 11, 2015 #6
    To elaborate on this (sorry I was writing the last post on my phone and lost the will to try and LaTeX on such a small screen!), I end up with

[tex]R_{\kappa\lambda\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\lambda}g_{\kappa\nu}-\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\kappa}g_{\nu\lambda}-\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\lambda}g_{\kappa\mu}+\partial_{\nu}\partial_{\kappa}g_{\mu\lambda}\right)+g_{\kappa\zeta}\left(\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\mu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\nu\lambda}-\Gamma^{\zeta}_{\;\nu\eta}\Gamma^{\eta}_{\;\mu\lambda}\right)+\frac{1}{2}g_{\kappa\zeta}\left[\left(\partial_{\mu}g^{\zeta\eta}\right)\left(\partial_{\nu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\nu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\nu\lambda}\right)-\left(\partial_{\nu}g^{\zeta\eta}\right)\left(\partial_{\mu}g_{\lambda\eta}+\partial_{\lambda}g_{\eta\mu}-\partial_{\eta}g_{\mu\lambda}\right)\right][/tex]

And the exact reference is: "Geometry, topology & physics", Nakahara. Chapter 7, Section 7.2, Sub-section 7.4.5, page 268.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  8. Sep 11, 2015 #7

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Here is a quick way to do it. Write
    [tex]R_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu} = \left\{ \partial_{\mu}\left(g_{\rho\tau}\Gamma^{\tau}_{\nu\sigma}\right) - \Gamma^{\tau}_{\nu\sigma} \partial_{\mu}g_{\rho\tau} + g_{\rho \alpha} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\tau} \Gamma^{\tau}_{\nu\sigma} \right\} - \left\{\mu \leftrightarrow \nu \right\} ,[/tex]
    or
    [tex]R_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu} = \left\{ \partial_{\mu}\left(g_{\rho\tau}\Gamma^{\tau}_{\nu\sigma}\right) - \left( \partial_{\mu}g_{\rho\tau} - g_{\rho\alpha} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\tau} \right) \Gamma^{\tau}_{\nu\sigma} \right\} - \left\{\mu \leftrightarrow \nu \right\} .[/tex] Now, if you use the identity [tex]\partial_{\mu}g_{\rho\tau} - g_{\rho\alpha} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\mu\tau} = g_{\alpha\tau} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\rho\mu} ,[/tex] you get what you need to arrive at the final result
    [tex]R_{\rho\sigma\mu\nu} = \left\{ \partial_{\mu}\left( g_{\rho\tau}\Gamma^{\tau}_{\nu\sigma} \right) - g_{\alpha\tau} \Gamma^{\alpha}_{\rho\mu} \Gamma^{\tau}_{\nu\sigma}\right\} - \left\{\mu \leftrightarrow \nu \right\} .[/tex]

9. Sep 12, 2015 #8
    Cool, thanks for your help. I'm guessing I could rectify my attempt using the identity you specified in your post (although it would be a lot more work)?!

10. Sep 15, 2015 #9

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

Yes, differentation alone does not get you any where. You need to use [itex]\nabla_{\rho}g_{\mu\nu}=0[/itex]. However, doing it your way generates 12 terms of the form [itex](g\partial g)(g \Gamma)[/itex]! Why make life difficult for yourself.

11. Sep 15, 2015 #10
    Yes, you're right. I ended up heeding your advice and doing it the way you suggested - much more straight forward!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook