1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving differential eqaution

1. Mar 28, 2005 #1
    I am trying to derive an equation for the oscillation of a conical float. There is a conical float with a density of delta 2 and its floating on water with density 1. Find the oscillation of the floating conical float. The final solution should be:

where y(t) is the height of the conical float over the water, L is the length of the conical float,g is gravity and p is the ratio of the two density delta1/delta2

what i did was i found the submerge volume: (1/3)r^2(L-y)

then the weight of water displaced by the float is:

mass of float m=(1/3)r^2(L)*delta2

using this in newton's second law i got:
    d^2y/dt^2=-g+g*p((L-y)/L) where p=delta1/delta2

i am not getting the solution that my professor gave?...can somebody explain where the cubed part came from?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2005 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

use delta1 instead of delta2.

You can not use the same r for both parts. If R is the radius of the base of the whole conus and r is the same for the submerged part, r/R=(L-y)/L

4. Mar 29, 2005 #3
    You would need at least to show that

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} = ky[/tex]

Also I believe you have to clarify whether the cone is upside down, or with the base down.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?