1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving double-angle formula

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

My notes say:

Cos(x+a) = CosxCosa - SinxSina

3. The attempt at a solution

When I differentiated each term (using the product rule twice on the right side) I got:

(d/dx) { Sin(x+a) = SinxCosa + CosxSina }

. Cos(x+a) = -SinxSina + CosaCosx + CosxCosa - SinaSinx

. Cos(x+a) = 2CosxCosa - 2SinxSina

Which is not right ... I'm pretty sure I'm just making a stupid mistake with my product rule, but I've tried it a couple times and I keep doing the same thing.

Does anyone see why I'm getting 2's in front of everything when I shouldn't be?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2
    You are differentiating with respect to x; that means that cos(a) and sin(a) are just constants. Differentiate again, treat them as constants, and you'll get the correct sum formula for cos(x + a). Double-angle formula would be for cos2x.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    hmm ... I don't know if you're right.
    I've seen the double angle formula with two separate variables.
    Plus it shouldn't matter whether it's a constant or a variable, the formula should still work out if the end result is supposed to be in terms of both x and a.

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re-word your question. Prove that for any constant a,

cos(x+a)=cos(x)cos(a)-sin(x)sin(a)

Do you see how this is equivalent?

Basically, the error that you made is that even if a is a variable, not a constant, it's independent of x as an input. So when you differentiate with respect to x, you treat the a as constant. This is something covered in Calculus III classes usually (multivariable calc)

6. Oct 15, 2009 #5
    Yes, you do use two different values for the sum formulas. However, you need to differentiate to get the sum formula for cosine, and you are using d/dx which is differentiating with respect to x. Did you notice that when you differentiated the left side, d/dx sin(x + 1), you treated a as a constant? Although a is a constant, you can let it be any value when using the formula, just like when you choose any value for x.

7. Oct 15, 2009 #6
    My friends, first of all "x" & "a" can be both variable or can be a variable "x" and a constant "a" in the expression: Sin(x+a) = SinxCosa + CosxSina. To prove, try solving:
    Sin(30+5) = Sin30Cos5 + Cos30Sin5 and youll find out the formula works. Now, starting from the fact that they can both variable or a constant and a variable, we could think of two possible solutions to this problem which of course will lead to the same result: Cos(x+a) = CosxCosa - SinxSina.

8. Oct 15, 2009 #7
    Lets try the first assumption, i.e., x is a variable and a as a constant:

Sin(x+a) = SinxCosa + CosxSina--->differentiate both sides with respect to x.
    you'll get: cos(x+a) = [sinx*(0) + cosa*cosx] + [cosx*(0) + sina*(-sinx)]-->notice the derivative of cosa = 0 because the derivative of a constant is 0, likewise the derivative of sina.

Simplifying, we get: Cos(x+a) = CosxCosa - SinxSina.--->which solves the problem.

9. Oct 15, 2009 #8
    Now assuming that both "x" and "a" are variables, can you try solving the problem? I have the solution already, I just wanna see how you do it.

10. Oct 18, 2009 #9
    Okay, I see what you guys mean.
    ... I tried it again and it worked out fine: I got

Cos(x+a) = CosaCosx - SinaSinx

^_^
    whew

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook