1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving electrical potential

1. Jun 17, 2014 #1
    Hi.
    I have no idea how to do this. It's complicated because the length here is a variable. I posted the same question before but there was a little mistake so I am reposting this again.

The picture below shows the potential due to ring charge.
    Please show the full steps of deriving the equation of electrical potential shown in the picture. I have no idea how to start.

NOTE:
    The electric potential of the revolving symmetrical ring electric charge related to the axis z as depicted in the diagram 5.3. It is commonplace to use complete circle integral function in the charge simulation method. If the position (height) of ring electric charge is Z, the radius is R, and the charge density is λ, the electric potential of the point P will be as represented in the next equation.

In the equation, l is the distance between the part of the ring charge dθ and P.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can give you a hint where to start, but I am not allowed to provide full steps like you ask.

... the picture does not show a revolving system - please check.

So how would you normally go about finding the potential due to a distribution of charge?

You problem seem to be the "l" is not fixed?
    That is not a problem if you express l in terms of r and θ

4. Jul 2, 2014 #3
    It's ok, I have solved this problem!

5. Jul 2, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Excellent - perhaps you can help out someone in a similar fix by posting the resolution?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted