1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving equation for electric potential along yaxis for a linear electric quadrupole

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Someone posted a similar problem here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=375737

The diagram and problem description is essentially the same except I am trying to find the expression for the electric potential on the y-axis at distances y>>s.

2. Relevant equations

V = U/Q; Voltage at a distance 'r' from source charge, on a point charge Q whose potential energy is given by: k(q_source charge)(Q_point charge)(1/r)

3. The attempt at a solution
    To find the voltage, I figured to take the sum of the voltage at a position 'y' from the point of origin where -2q charge was. The total electrical potential at this point was given by:
    ƩV = ƩU/Q_P; ƩU = k(q)(Q_P)(1/r) + k(q)(Q_P)(1/r) + k(-2q)(Q_p)(1/r); where r was (y-s), (y+s), (y), respectively. Algebraically simplifying this sum gives: 2kq(s^2)*[1/((y^3)-y(s^2))].

For y>>s, I figured the denominator would simplify to y^3-y but that wasn't the correct answer. It seems that I had trouble understanding the general procedure for evaluating a limiting case. Mathematically, how does considering when y>>s simplify the equation to kQ/(y^3); Q = 2qs^2? (The answer is correct for the x and y axis, which makes sense intuitively since at any long distance the linear electric quadrupole can be treated as a point charge whereby the calculation to find the electrical potential on any axis is arbitrary)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2
    Re: Deriving equation for electric potential along yaxis for a linear electric quadru

well the potential on y axis would be

[tex]V(y)=\frac{k_e q}{(y-s)}-\frac{2k_e q}{y}+\frac{k_e q}{(y+s)} [/tex]

which simplifies to

[tex]\frac{k_e q}{y}\left [\frac{1}{(1-\frac{s}{y})}-2+ \frac{1}{(1+\frac{s}{y})}\right ][/tex]

since y >> s , we have [itex]\frac{s}{y} \ll 1 [/itex] we can use binomial expansions

[tex]\frac{1}{(1-\frac{s}{y})}\approx 1+\frac{s}{y}+\frac{s^2}{y^2} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{(1+\frac{s}{y})}\approx 1-\frac{s}{y} +\frac{s^2}{y^2} [/tex]

since [itex]\frac{s}{y} \ll 1 [/itex] , we neglect higher order terms in [itex]\frac{s}{y}[/itex]

plug everything and I think you get what you are looking for

:approve:

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3
    Re: Deriving equation for electric potential along yaxis for a linear electric quadru

Ah I see. I wish my physics teacher told me about the binomial expansion ... it would have been very useful. Thank you, Isaac Newton (lol) for clarifying this approximation.

5. Feb 19, 2012 #4

what text you are using.... I think precalculus covers binomial expansion

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook