1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving equation for the magnetic field of a variable gap magnet

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    I'm being asked to derive the equation for the magnetic field produced by a variable gap magnet. I've been given a few clues, but thus far have been unable to actually complete the derivation. The final equation should be:

[tex]B_{ext}=\frac{mg}{lR}\left(\frac{d}{i}\right)[/tex]

I'm told I need to use the Biot-Savart law and Newton's first (specifically sum of torque = 0).

I have also gone as far as recognizing that:

[tex]B=\frac{mg}{iLsin\theta}[/tex]

is going to be incorporated. This is from the cross product equation for the magnetic force (the force is balancing a current carrying wire within the gap of the magnet). I suspect that [tex]l[/tex] and [tex]L[/tex] may be the same variable, but I'm not sure. I've also been told to observe that for small angles [tex]sin\theta \approx tan\theta[/tex]. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted