Solving Spherically Symmetric Static Star Equations of Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation $$ (\rho + p) \frac {d\Phi} {dr} = - \frac {dp} {dr} $$ from the equation $$T^{\alpha\beta}_{\,\,\,\,;\beta} = 0$$ in the case of a spherically symmetric static star. The conversation includes a realization of an omitted component and a reference to an accompanying Insights article.
epovo
TL;DR Summary
Help with getting the result in Schutz
Hi guys,
I can't seem to be able to get to
$$ (\rho + p) \frac {d\Phi} {dr} = - \frac {dp} {dr} $$
from
$$T^{\alpha\beta}_{\,\,\,\,;\beta} = 0$$
the only one of these 4 equations (in the case of a spherically symmetric static star) that does not identically vanish is that for ##\alpha=r##

Because ##T^{\alpha\beta}## is diagonal, that means ##T^{rr}_{\,\,\,\,;r}=0##.
We know that ##T^{rr}=p e^{-2\Lambda}## and that ##\Gamma^r_{\mu r} = \Lambda_{,r}##. So,

$$T^{rr}_{\,\,\,\,;r}=T^{rr}_{\,\,\,\,,r} + 2 \Gamma^r_{\mu r} T^{\mu r} = p_{,r}e^{-2\Lambda} - 2 p e^{-2\Lambda}\Lambda_{,r} + 2 \Lambda_{,r}p e^{-2\Lambda}=0 $$

And I get simply

$$ \frac {dp} {dr} = 0 $$
... which makes no sense! where did I go wrong? This is going to be embarrassing....

Physics news on Phys.org
Silly me! I don't know how I could have omitted the rest of the ##\beta##-components.
Thank you @PeterDonis

Likes vanhees71

1. What are the "Spherically Symmetric Static Star Equations of Motion"?

The Spherically Symmetric Static Star Equations of Motion are a set of mathematical equations that describe the behavior and movement of a star that is in a state of equilibrium, meaning it is not expanding or contracting. These equations take into account factors such as the mass, density, and pressure of the star, and are important for understanding the structure and evolution of stars.

2. Why is it important to solve these equations?

Solving these equations is important because it allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the physical processes that occur inside stars. By solving these equations, we can make predictions about the behavior and characteristics of stars, such as their size, temperature, and lifespan.

3. How do scientists solve these equations?

There are several methods that scientists use to solve the Spherically Symmetric Static Star Equations of Motion. One common approach is to use numerical simulations, where the equations are solved using computer programs that can handle complex calculations. Another method is to use analytical techniques, which involve solving the equations using mathematical formulas and techniques.

4. What are some challenges in solving these equations?

One of the main challenges in solving these equations is that they are highly complex and involve multiple variables. This can make it difficult to find exact solutions, and often requires the use of approximations and simplifications. Additionally, the physical properties of stars can vary greatly, making it challenging to apply a single set of equations to all types of stars.

5. How do the solutions to these equations help us understand the universe?

By solving these equations, scientists can gain insights into the formation, evolution, and behavior of stars. This information is crucial for understanding the universe as a whole, as stars play a vital role in many astronomical processes, such as the creation of heavy elements and the production of light and heat. Additionally, the solutions to these equations can also help us make predictions about the fate of stars, such as whether they will eventually become black holes or explode as supernovae.