1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving equation of motion in General Relativity from Principle of Least Action.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1
    I'm going through Landau/Lifgarbagez's book II of theoretical physics. In it they have a derivation of the equation of motion from the principle of least action, however I don't understand one step.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive the equation of motion:
    [itex]\frac{d^2x^i}{ds^2}+\Gamma^i_{kj} \frac{dx^k}{ds} \frac{dx^j}{ds}=0[/itex]
    Using the principle of least action:
    [itex]\delta S=-mc\delta\int ds=0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\Gamma_{i,kj}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^j}+\frac{\partial g_{ij}}{\partial x^k}-\frac{\partial g_{kj}}{\partial x^i}\right)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\delta ds^2=2ds\delta ds = \delta(g_{ik}dx^i dx^k)=dx^i dx^k \frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^j}\delta x^j + 2g_{ik}dx^i d\delta x^k[/itex]

Therefore

[itex]\delta S = -mc\int\left\{\frac{1}{2}\frac{dx^i}{ds}\frac{dx^k}{ds}\frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^j}\delta x^j + g_{ik}\frac{dx^i}{ds}\frac{d\delta x^k}{ds}\right\}[/itex]

which equals

[itex]\delta S = -mc \int \left\{\frac{1}{2} \frac{dx^i}{ds} \frac{dx^k}{ds} \frac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^j}\delta x^j - \frac{d}{ds}\left\{ g_{ik} \frac{x^i}{ds}\right\} \delta x^k \right\} ds[/itex]

The step I don't understand is going from the second last line to the last line.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure this is ok ? You missed the d there. Ok, he takes out d/ds for the whole term (this gives 0 upon integration, because of the limit/boundary conditions), then by partial integration he gets that term with -. This is a standard trick when deriving Euler-Lagrange eqns from the action functional.

4. Dec 4, 2011 #3
    Thanks, that has made it clear for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook