Deriving Equation Relating Angle of Incidence to the Angle of Refracti

In summary, we use Snell's law to derive an equation relating the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction as light travels from air to glass. By taking the derivative of both sides of the equation and solving for the slope, we can approximate the slope as n1/n2 for small angles. It is also possible to use linear regression on the graph of sinθ2 vs sinθ1 to determine the slope.
frozonecom

Homework Statement

Derive an equation relating the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction as light travels from air to glass. Do it in the form of Θ2/Θ1 = expression

Homework Equations

I think the equation to use here is Snell's law. Right?
n1sinΘ1 = n2sinΘ2

n1 = nair = 1.0003 approximately 1
n2 = nglass
Θ1 = angle of incidence
Θ2 = angle of refraction

The Attempt at a Solution

n1sinΘ1 = n2sinΘ2
n1/n2 = (sinΘ2)/(sinΘ1)
1/n2 = (sinΘ2)/(sinΘ1)

However, I'm having problems on how to remove the sin on the right side of my equation. I know I can't just apply arcsin to both sides since that wouldn't remove the sin in both the numerator and the denominator of my fraction. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve for Θ2, and divide it by Θ1.

ehild

For small angles sin x is approximately x (x in radians). For large angles, there really is no way to get a relation of the form you specified.

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Solve for Θ2, and divide it by Θ1.

ehild

I got Θ2/Θ1 = [arcsin((sinΘ1)/n2)]/Θ1

However, is this really it? Is there no way I can arrive at an expression wherein Θ1 and Θ2 would not appear in the right hand side of the equation?

Orodruin said:
For small angles sin x is approximately x (x in radians). For large angles, there really is no way to get a relation of the form you specified.

I've tried doing it in a calculator. I know I'm working with angles to pi/2. However, as you said, sin x really gets deviated from x as x increases. But it's a good thing you pointed that out. Really simplifies things.

I'm doing graphical analysis (angle of refraction(y) vs angle of incidence(x)) and I'm trying to figure out what the slope represents. I might use this as an explanation and just say that my slope represents the reciprocal of the refractive index of the glass.

frozonecom said:
I'm doing graphical analysis (angle of refraction(y) vs angle of incidence(x)) and I'm trying to figure out what the slope represents. I might use this as an explanation and just say that my slope represents the reciprocal of the refractive index of the glass.
Why don't you plot ##\sin\theta_1## vs. ##\sin\theta_2## instead?

vela said:
Why don't you plot ##\sin\theta_1## vs. ##\sin\theta_2## instead?

Yes I did that too, and I've got a linear graph. However, a part of the experiment was to analyze graphs of θ2 vs θ1 too. It's been giving me a hard time. I know that the graph of that one isn't perfectly linear but our instructor advised us to use linear regression on our data. Now it was asking us to know what the slope represents. I've been trying to derive an expression to figure out what it really is.

##\sin(θ_2)=\frac{n_1}{n_2}\sin(θ_1)##

Take the derivative of both sides with respect to θ1. Solve for the slope dθ2/dθ1. If θ1 is small, the slope can be approximated as n1/n2 as the cosines are close to 1.
I do not see any sense to worry about the slope of the θ2 vs θ1 graph. You can apply linear regression to the graph sinθ2 vs sinθ1.

ehild

1. What is the equation that relates the angle of incidence to the angle of refraction?

The equation is known as Snell's Law and is written as:
n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2, where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two media and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

2. How is Snell's Law derived?

Snell's Law can be derived using the principles of geometric optics and the concept of Fermat's principle, which states that light travels between two points along the path that takes the least amount of time.

3. What is the significance of the angle of incidence and angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and angle of refraction are important in understanding how light behaves when passing through different media. They help determine the direction and amount of bending of light as it travels from one medium to another.

4. How does the refractive index of a medium affect the angle of refraction?

The refractive index of a medium is a measure of how much light slows down when passing through it. The higher the refractive index, the more the light will bend when entering a medium, resulting in a larger angle of refraction.

5. Can Snell's Law be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, Snell's Law can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves (such as light) and mechanical waves (such as sound). It is a fundamental principle in the study of wave behavior.