1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriving F=ma? a vs F?

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    I knew i should have paid more attention in class =/

anyways, We have been studying newton's second law. And I have a question on my lab that asks for me to "derive equation for a (acceleration) vs F (force) and a (acceleration) vs m (mass)"

a vs F and a vs M are two graphs which we did.

and I am at a complete lost at what to do. I have no idea how to or what to derive. My only hint is a small piece of note I copied from teacher's notes. It goes like this:

It looks like slope is equal to 1/mass. So

a α(alpha) F
    a α 1/m
    a α F/m
    F = ma

does anybody know what a(alpha) stands for? And what it exactly means by "deriving equation?"

thank you very very much.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    Deriving means how someone formulates an equation through other equations or experimental results. The alpha symbol means 'is proportional to'.
  4. Mar 24, 2008 #3
    so would i derive a vs F or a vs m in the same fashion as:

a (alpha) x
    a (alpha) y
    a (alpha) z
    a = xyz
  5. Mar 24, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

That's not α (alpha) but rather [itex]\varpropto[/itex], which means a is proportional to F, a is proportional to 1/m, and a is proportional to F/m, with the last being a one-to-one proportionality which gives a = F/m.
  6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    ahh, ic
    thank you very much. That might explain why i never got anything by searching up alpha on google :P

can you please tell me what it is called?
  7. Mar 24, 2008 #6
    It's called a proportionality symbol.
  8. Nov 21, 2010 #7
    F [itex]\varpropto[/itex] ma? How to say that F=ma? is not F=kma?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?